Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: C-500 Oil Leak ?

Tom Foolery
    The oil is running down the spline and coming out THRU not AROUND the companion Flange and around the washer & nut & into the area where the prop shaft bolts to the companion flange. I haven't noticed it getting flug around yet but I haven't really used the boat yet.

Tom Foolery
    Originally posted by DOHARA
    Tom, it's off the subject but you should of snapt a few shots of that power plant while you had the camera out
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...9BBC_Turbo.JPG
    Not to Change the subject

Tom Foolery
    Originally posted by Tom Foolery
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...4S_example.JPG
    Ok I circled the plug that I thought was a drain plug. Is this the level Indicator plug you were talking about? ( I know its not the best picture.) If so It looks higher than the prop shaft which would still allow oil to leak out.
    Ok I found some more Info on line & what I thought was the drain plug was actually the Magnetic Pipe Plug. So I guess I need to look a little lower for the oil fill or level check plug.
    So that might be good news. Maybe my problem is too much oil as Big Mac said. Is there a seperate plug on the case to drain the oil?

DOHARA
    Tom, the magnetic plug should be the fill hole and level plug too. Drain plug should be lower then the rest of the other plugs. I found this link that has fluid capacity for the casale's, hope this helps. The seal behind the coupler is probably bad.
    Good luck Dano.
    I liked that howard you bought. I actually called on it but you had bought it already
    http://www.glen-l.com/inboard/8vdrive.html

83nordic
    Tom, the v-drive has no drain plug, you have to aspirate the oil to get it out. The " fill " on the front of the v-drive is indeed for filling but you only fill until oil begins to come out of the lowest plug on the back { about center of the lower gear } . To stop the leak you need to take the nut and washer off then remove the flange at which point oil will go everywhere effectively draining your box. dry and clean everything up splines etc. then apply anarobic ( cant spell) gasket maker to the splines and reinstall also put the sealer on the washer etc. let it set than refill as described above. You might as well change the lower seal while you have it apart ( an extra five or six bolts ) do not overfill and check the vent on the front in the center of th top gear sometimes they stick closed.
    Good luck

Tom Foolery
    Thanks 83Nordic, that seems consistant with what I found when taking the lower compainion flange off.

Tom Foolery
    Originally posted by 83nordic
    then apply anarobic ( cant spell) gasket maker to the splines and reinstall also put the sealer on the washer etc. let it set than refill as described above.
    Wait a minute. I just read your post again. I'm supposed to put sealant on the splines? Really?

83nordic is right on the money to solve your problem.
    If oil is leaking out the shaft it is going down the splines. If it was leaking outside the flange then it would be the seal.

Tom Foolery
    Thank you again everyone for sharing your knowlege. It looks like I'll be one step closer to getting things done this weekend.

83nordic
    I have the same set up and that is indeed the way to seal it up. Hope to see you on the water some time
    John

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12