Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: towing broken down boat???

BarryMac
    I have a question that I am hoping someone can answer for me, Saturday on our way back down to the launch ramp I was flagged down by a guy whose boat had broken down, I tried to give him a jump start with my portable jump starter to no avail, I then offered to tow him down river back to his family, I am guessing that I towed him somewhere between 1.5 and 2 miles, after I dropped him off I drove back to the launch ramp and loaded my boat on the trailer, I pulled the plug and got water from the bilge, I generally get water from the bilge but after it continued to run for 15 - 20 seconds I got concerned, I opened the engine hatch and the bilge was full of water, I had to turn on the bilge pump to help empty the boat. Do you suppose I got so much water into the boat from towing the dissabled boat for so long? Are there do's and dont's when towing with a jet boat? Any insight that you guys can provide would be great.
    Thanks,
    gjb out...

HavasuDreamin'
    Do's and Dont's..........................
    Do help a fellow boater if you can.........
    Do not help a fellow boater if it will cause you to sink......or ruin your motor.........

riverbound
    I have towed and been towed many times and usually what we do is tie the boats together then crack open some coldies. I have never had seen any excess water in the boat form towing another boat.

HalletDave
    gjb,
    I'm guessing you were probably getting water splashing over the transom while towing or throughout the day if you were slowing down abrubtly, especially if you were heading down river going with the current. Just remember to check the bilge a little more often.

Petrofied
    How about an automatic pump switch. That should keep the thing dry.

Lightning
    Do you have an auto bilge pump? Towing should not affect the amount of water you have in your bilge.

Hallett19
    Originally posted by riverbound
    I have towed and been towed many times and usually what we do is tie the boats together then crack open some coldies.
    This is a great way of making lemonade out of lemons, but with beer instead..... if that makes sense....

BarryMac
    I don't have an auto bilge pump, are they hard to install? I was also told that no matter what you do Jet Boats leak? Don't know if this it true or not. I did turn on the Bilge pump before we left the SandBar, that was probably 20 minutes before helping out the stranded and broken boater.
    gjb looking for answers to alot of stupid questions...

LVjetboy
    Easy to install and no more worries. You can either replace yours with an automatic, or add another that is automatic, or wire in a float or sensor switch to your existing pump. If you only have one pump and have room, I'd recommend adding another with automatic just for safety.
    Yes jets leak at the shaft seal by design, but not much. For those with water injected OT's, they leak at the weep holes. But it sounds like you may have another leak.
    jer

victorfb
    also check your bilge pump impeller for debris. carpet fibers, hair, oil, all together result in a clogged impeller and will not allow the pump to turn. keep it clean and check the transum dump line often to make sure it is working. just because you dont see water coming out doesnt mean your bilge is dry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast