Thread: rebuilding weiand blower?

Bote Loco
    I have a 525sc w/ weiand 177 blower. It sounds like a bearing is bad. I'm in Michigan & weather just getting nice - can't ship off & blow 2-4 wks getting repaired. Two questions - what do you think will need to be done. How should I find someone to rebuild. I assume many engine mechanics have never dealt w/ blowers. Difficult? Could an auto high-performance blower man do?
    thanks.............Dave

eliminator777
    Dyer Blower service in Chicago ILL. DON'T KNOW PHONE NUMBER.Or box it up send it to mooneyham or littlefields.or take a chance and take it apart and fix it your self. I re-strip my blower take it apart do what needs to be done.

Bote Loco
    Thanks for your help. Dyers said they can not do Weiands as they are now owned by Holley. I could ship to Holley in TN, they said 3 wk turn around. Also could ship to Blower Shop w/ 7 day time est. I'm sure they will do great job, just leary of time in shipping?

wideopen545
    hey laco you can check with your local bus mech like city bus transit they use root style blowers they might help just a thought

Bote Loco
    Well it sounded like a bearing in the very front of the shaft housing that bolts to the main blower assembly. So I took it off and examined it the other night. Basically had a sealed bearing that was bad, which I was able to replace from a local bearing distributor. All oil in the blower stops at a seal right before this bearing. So any dust or shavings were in the very front of this assembly and did not get past seal & into main housing. Will reassemble tonight. If it works I will use this summer, then ship entire assembly to be re-done. 2nd engine seems fine, but will of course have that blower re-built as well. (340 hrs) thanks guys!