Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turbo Oil Returns?

DUCKY
    What do you guys think, is it really necessary to return the turbo oil directly back to the pan, or can I dump it in the timing cover or lifter valley or something.

flat broke
    Go directly to the pan. I know it means pulling the motor to weld in the bungs for fittings, but you want that oil ending up as close to the pickup as possible. Dropping it in the valve cover means it still has to drain back down to the pan and could cause some starvation problems.
    Good luck,
    Chris

GofastRacer
    Yes, go directly to the pan, you have too much oil on top of the motor as it is, you don't need any more!!.... eek!

schiada96
    fb you need to dump it to the pan. The turbos are about level with the valve covers. They will not pump oil up, it will blow past the seal and presto oil out the exh. When you weld the fittings on the pan be sure to put them above full oil level and in line with a main cap to keep the windage from pushing oil up the drains.

DUCKY
    I was thinking I could drill and tap my aluminum timing cover right down by the crank. Guess not eh? How big do the drain hoses need to be anyways?

hack job
    -10 is the min i would use ! and that is what most kits use i owuld even think about -12 if you are running a lot of rpm!
    just my .02!
    wink

502procharger
    if it is a pre 1996 bbc it already has a 3/8 ntp fitting on the oil pan that you can remove the plug and put a 3/8ntp to 1/2 hose 90 deg. on. it sits above the oil line and procharger uses it as there oil return spot. If it is post 1996 you can use a punch without breaking pieces off in the pan and slowly open it up until you can thread the same fitting in. i have done both, let me know if you need more details on how to do it. It is much less work then pulling your motor. good luck

DUCKY
    I have a aviaid 10qt v-drive pan, It doesn't have any plugs in it. Where can I get fittings that will screw into that thin of metal?

Dump it back into the timing cover, just make sure its above the running oil level in the pan, otherwise it will back up into the turbos.

hottrodder
    Scott: This may not be a consideration for you anymore since I think the last I heard you were going blower. But I dump mine into the valve cover. dumping into the pan is IMHO only applicable to endurance racing where high RPM's are maintained for extended periods of time. In that case indeed all the oil end up on the top and none down low where it's really needed. In the the usuall stop light river racing kind of thing I find myself in on the weekends it's all over after 15 seconds. I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've kept my foot in it @ 5800 for more than 30 seconds. In normal skiing , cruising conditions I'm often not even pulling boost or just 1lb. If you decide to go to the pan the fittings have to be welded in lined up with a main above the normal oil level.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast