Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What weighs more? Part II

goneboatin
    What weighs more:
    A tanker truck full of helium or a tanker truck empty?
    I don't have an answer. No one will stand by their answer.

welk2party
    I am going to say a tanker full of helium. Even though helium is lighter than air, it still must be compressed in a container of the truck creating a volume heavier than air.

Cheap Thrills
    is the helium compressed ?
    C.T. :wink:

goneboatin
    I would have to agree with Welktoparty that if the helium is compressed it would weigh more, but at some point does the helium go from lifting to loading?

Tom Foolery
    I would think that a tanker truck filled with helium at atmospheric pressure would be the lightest. Once the tank is pressurized beyond atmospheric pressure the the weight will increase and at some pressure, will equal the weight of air that would normally fill the tank and any pressure greater than that and the tank will weigh more than air.

welk2party
    I would say it depends on the storage device. Balloons for example strectch and carry enough volume to create the desired shape and size and create lift by replacing the air inside. If the container is solid and inflexible, I believe you can have more density or volume which would create weight.

welk2party
    I would think that a tanker truck filled with helium at atmospheric pressure would be the lightest. Once the tank is pressurized beyond atmospheric pressure the the weight will increase and at some pressure, will equal the weight of air that would normally fill the tank and any pressure greater than that and the tank will weigh more than air.
    Basically what I was trying to say!

coolchange
    The tanker with air weighs more. If you compress the helium there is a point at which the helium would weigh the same as ncompressed air. but then you are adding a vairiable to half the equation that you are not adding to the other at which point the atmospherical repetitibility of the constant is in direct relationship to the inebriation of the research alchemist and is therefore a non-repeatable test in a non blind study and is thusly considered a flawed hypothesis.

welk2party
    but then you are adding a vairiable to half the equation that you are not adding to the other at which point the atmospherical repetitibility of the constant is in direct relationship to the inebriation of the research alchemist and is therefore a non-repeatable test in a non blind study and is thusly considered a flawed hypothesis.

Pointerman
    Well, considering helium is transported in liquid form the tanker with the helium would definitely weigh more. Helium is almost 8 lbs. per gallon in liquid form. If you pumped gas into the tanker it would definitely be lighter on a scale than an empty truck.
    http://www-safety.deas.harvard.edu/services/helium.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast