Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Battery boxes

mbrown2
    Nice box Froggy...I mean Battery Box... Looks trick

Froggystyle
    Originally posted by mbrown2
    Nice box Froggy...I mean Battery Box... Looks trick
    Wait till it's powdercoated. Plus, I am going to try to trick Tobtek into painting all of these to match the gelcoats. (That and the valvecovers...)

superdave013
    what are you guys using 6V batterys for?

Lightning
    Originally posted by superdave013
    what are you guys using 6V batterys for?
    Mainly smoke detectors and alarm clocks.

Lightning
    Originally posted by Froggystyle
    Geez... thanks for the anti-spam. Tryin to hawk boxes here man!
    No soup for you... one year! How was the river this weekend?
    J/K by the way... I told Phebus all about these plastic boxes.
    It was an awesome weekend, nice and mellow for a change, there are some photos on the Martinez Lake thread in HotSpotsWest.
    By the way, I was thinking about those battery boxes - I need to get so that I have. Really pimp.

superdave013
    Originally posted by Lightning
    Mainly smoke detectors and alarm clocks.
    CA'MON, I really have no idea what you need 6V for. Or are you putting them in series for 12V? I doubt that though.

Froggystyle
    Originally posted by superdave013
    CA'MON, I really have no idea what you need 6V for. Or are you putting them in series for 12V? I doubt that though.
    The six volts have significantly more reserve capacity than a similarly sized 12 volt due to the increased size of each plate, and it's interaction with the electrolyte, among other reasons.
    We are putting them in series (hence the double sized battery box) and running 12 volts. The jury is still out as to whether or not we are going to be running 4 of them per Trident or 2. We will see what the run time is with our stereo system with both, and choose whether or not we want the weight gain (as well as the charging problems) or not.
    The big benefit is, they are made for over 1,000 cycles, and absolutely do not fail, they have a serious reserve capacity. Not to mention, about a billion golf carts (notoriously high draw and recharge rates) can't be wrong. Availability is everywhere, and they are less than $50 per battery.
    Optimas are great, if you need the battery upside down or in a passenger compartment. For everything else, go lead acid.

Havasu Hangin'
    Originally posted by Froggystyle
    The six volts have significantly more reserve capacity than a similarly sized 12 volt due to the increased size of each plate, and it's interaction with the electrolyte, among other reasons.
    The "other reason" is that batteries in series double the resistance...which is why using batteries in series is a big "no-no" in the audio world.
    Essencially, it just releases the energy slower- great for golf cart motors...but not so good for a dynamic draw like audio.
    So, if you are going to be driving your boat on a golf course, 6 volts are the way to go!
    Fore!

RiverDave
    HH, explain that to me becuase I'm getting ready to up the batteries in the Nordic. Which way would you go? I've been running the interstates forever and just changing them every season, usually by the end of the season to say they are junk is an understatement. Do you think 2 Optimas would be enough for me? I was considering running 2 6 volts for the stereo as a stand alone kinda deal and then running the 2 interstates for the boat because of all the rants and raves on the board. The engineers here @ work tell me that there's no reason to run 6 volts though so I've been kinda hesitant on that deal.. I'm also concerned about weight becuase my boat is so sensitive in that dept.
    Can I just add one more battery for a total of 3 (stingers or optimas or whatever)? 2 for the stereo and one to run the boat etc..?? As well which 12 batteries would you recomend?
    RD
    RD

Havasu Hangin'
    Originally posted by RiverDave
    Which way would you go?
    How much money you got?
    For the "mobile dance floor" (AKA- DJ Royalties), I would do more than two Optimas...

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast