Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Battery boxes

rrrr
    Pffffffffftttttttt... You guys need to quit screwing around. HERE's a goldanged battery....
    http://www.industrialpowerproducts.c...s/image003.jpg

RiverDave
    Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
    How much money you got?
    For the "mobile dance floor" (AKA- DJ Royalties), I would do more than two Optimas...
    Would you recomend another battery over the optima for around the same price?
    RD

rivercrazy
    Hey RD. I think your running similar watts to what I'm running. Right under 2000 right? Two group 24 blue tops wired in parallel last me at least 4 hours without running them down too far. That's at stereo volume up between 1/2 to 2/3'rd. I don't try and be sandbar DJ though. And I'm on my 4th season with them!
    The key is charging them with a good quality multi stage automatic charger at the end of every day.
    I bet if you went with 2 or 3 of the new group 31 optima, it would provide the kind of performance your looking for. And they will last more than a season as long as you don't grind them down below about 60% discharge.

Froggystyle
    Essencially, it just releases the energy slower- great for golf cart motors...but not so good for a dynamic draw like audio.
    I wish we had that smiley with the little guy rolling his eyes and jerking off...
    Nobody I know with 6 volts has ANY problem with a theoretical slower draw. Most are completely blown away with run time, ease of charging at 20+ amps per battery and other assorted bonuses that can only be had with the Trojan's.
    RD, you have been in OTR before. Ever see any runtime problems with the Trojans?
    Me neither...
    I think Lightning may chime in here with some runtime records with only two Trojans, and once Novaguy gets his on the water, I think he may be in the same boat (no pun intended).
    To each his own. I have run both, and am FAR more satisfied with the Trojans, in nearly every single aspect. I am not a big fan of the 12 pounds heavier per battery, but love everything else about them.

RiverDave
    I'll have to take the measurements on what will fit down in that hole that Nordic sticks them in and go from there. I have a real small "stinger" battery for Bubbles and the guy that sold it to me swears up and down it's atleast as good as one of those big interstates for stereo playing and about as good as an normal sized Optima. ****ing things are pricey though it was like 180 something dollars?
    RD

Havasu Hangin'
    Originally posted by Froggystyle
    Nobody I know with 6 volts has ANY problem with a theoretical slower draw.
    Hey Froggy...no need to get your warts in a bunch.
    Now, ever wonder why no matter how many batteries you run in series...the amp-hours stay the same? Because you're stacking resistance- no "magic". If you take two sets of identical batteries, and run one in series and one in parallel...which will discharge faster?
    The parallel, of course. How come the energy is being released faster? Less resistance...the amps are drawing it...more energy = more watts.
    All I'm gonna say is that I've heard three systems with 6 volts...and all three sounded flat to me. Of course...it could have been the equipment or install.
    But that's just me...what do I know?
    6 volts belong in retirement homes or on the 18th fairway.

rivercrazy
    http://www.optimabatteries.com/products/pdf/D31M.pdf
    155 reserve minutes per battery. Multiply that by 3 = 465 reserve minutes. If you ain't deaf by then, everyone else will be. Ooops, you got those funny Kicker subs. Maybe not!

Lightning
    Originally posted by Froggystyle
    I think Lightning may chime in here with some runtime records with only two Trojans, and once Novaguy gets his on the water, I think he may be in the same boat (no pun intended).
    To each his own. I have run both, and am FAR more satisfied with the Trojans, in nearly every single aspect. I am not a big fan of the 12 pounds heavier per battery, but love everything else about them.
    I have two 6 volts in my boat. I have had no problems what so ever. I have yet to run out of juice for my stereo, even after two long days on the water. Also, keep in mind, my stereo batteries are not connected to the alternator in my boat - they get recharged at the end of the weekend. Last year at OP6, we had the stereo on all day at the sandbar and then on for the evening float with Slick, we did not get home until 3 a.m. and we were still looking strong on the volt meter for the stereo batteries.
    To each his own, whatever works best for whoever's system. All I know is the 12 volt system which was giving me a lot of problems and running out of juice was replaced with 2 Trojan 6 volts, and i have yet to run out of battery with the stereo.
    I don't know how many amp hours the Optimas have, nor do I feel like looking it up right now - however I do know that a single T-105 Trojan has about 260 amp hours which is a lot more then the Optimas had the last time I checked. More amp hours = more play time.
    Then again, you can buy about 3 Trojan's for the cost of one Optima blue top.

Havasu Hangin'
    Originally posted by Lightning
    ...I do know that a single T-105 Trojan has about 260 amp hours which is a lot more then the Optimas had the last time I checked. More amp hours = more play time.
    Man...you guys are funny.
    Do you realize that you could place a resister in-line with any battery setup and add amp hours?
    More resistance = more amp hours.
    Resisitance = bad for audio
    Resistance = good for golf carts.
    Ever wonder why the audio-specialized batteries have less amp-hours and less internal resistance? They are designed that way for optimum performance for audio.
    Originally posted by Lightning
    Then again, you can buy about 3 Trojan's for the cost of one Optima blue top.
    I still can't figure out why you guys would spend tens of thousands of dollars on your boat...and many more thousand on your stereo...
    ...only to use the most ghetto batteries available. You might as well hold your Rockwood pre-fab sub boxes down with a bungee cord.
    If there are an audio guys looking at your system...don't show them your batteries- you may not hear the system over the laughter.
    Oh wait. Froggy is selling boxes for them?
    My bad...they must work great.

Froggystyle
    Man...you guys are funny.
    Do you realize that you could place a resister in-line with any battery setup and add amp hours?
    More resistance = more amp hours.
    Resisitance = bad for audio
    Resistance = good for golf carts.
    Ever wonder why the audio-specialized batteries have less amp-hours and less internal resistance? They are designed that way for optimum performance for audio.
    I still can't figure out why you guys would spend tens of thousands of dollars on your boat...and many more thousand on your stereo...
    ...only to use the most ghetto batteries available. You might as well hold your Rockwood pre-fab sub boxes down with a bungee cord.
    If there are an audio guys looking at your system...don't show them your batteries- you may not hear the system over the laughter.
    Oh wait. Froggy is selling boxes for them?
    My bad...they must work great.
    You're so cute... with your little opinions. I love it.
    Yeah, I'll bungee my rockwoods down. Thanks for the advice. For someone who is such a nice guy in person, you are a pretty serious schmuck online, you know that?
    I have had plenty of audio guys who's opinions I respect a great deal more than your jaded, single sided rhetoric tell me it appears to be the perfect solution to the problem. The lower cost is a wonderful side effect.
    Sell your BS somewhere else. Check the thread title...

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast