Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rear Hold Down Straps

Kilrtoy
    Dont know what it is called, But you hook it to the front of your boat and to your trailer.....

FRENCHIE
    probably not necesary, but i use them also! Have to admit i got some realy nice one's from walmart i think called rod savers, they are black and high lbs rating! they work great and were about $20.00

Laveyman
    What Frenchie said. The Rod Savers at WallyWorld are the shiznit!
    Always use rear tie downs! If you ever have to make a severe evasive maneuver when towing, you run a major risk of your boat coming off the trailer if the trailer gets even a little bit sideways. Nothing worse than thinking, WHEW! I was able to miss that dead horse in the road, only to hear your boat going SPLAT on the freeway right next to you. Tie Downs are cheap insurance. Don't tow without them.

Sleek-Jet
    Coming back from So-cal with the new boat Friday, I could count the number of boats with rear straps on one hand. Almost no one had the rear of thier boats tied down.
    Like Laveyman and everyone else in this thread has said, it's cheap insurance, and keeps the boat on the trailer.

JetBoatRich
    I would find a way to get straps on the back better be safe than sorry down the road:eek!: you may not see when driving, but i am sure the boat is bouncing while traveling :yuk: this could be real bad as mentioned by others

Mandelon
    Lavey man hit it. Not just to keep the boat down if you hit a mega pothole or railroad tracks.....you swerve to miss it but it catches the trailer wheels while you are turning, boat comes down crooked on the bunks.....then think about this........ what if you rear ended another vehicle that stopped suddenly?
    Now you've got this pointy nosed fiberglass projectile sliding into the rear of your vehicle........
    Someone could hit you from behind too...........the straps can only help. If its a big vehicle the straps may not do much, but they could literally keep you from losing your head.

sidewound
    I ALWAYS use the rear straps and it's only blocks to the ramp. I believe they're required by law here.

Havasu Hangin'
    I was following a big Daytona out of Havasu one time...he hit a bump (with no rear tie-downs) and the whole damn boat came a few inches off the bunks and landed hard.
    I imagine smaller boats are worse. Either way. without them, it will be hard on the bunks (let alone the fiberglass).
    Also, if the front strap lets go (like in an accident), they will be the only thing keeping the boat on the traler.
    I just can't figure out where to put them on the new boat:
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...ig_transom.jpg

LASERRAY
    Just remember to take them off before you launch!

phebus
    Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
    I was following a big Daytona out of Havasu one time...he hit a bump (with no rear tie-downs) and the whole damn boat came a few inches off the bunks and landed hard.
    I imagine smaller boats are worse. Either way. without them, it will be hard on the bunks (let alone the fiberglass).
    Also, if the front strap lets go (like in an accident), they will be the only thing keeping the boat on the traler.
    I just can't figure out where to put them on the new boat:
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...ig_transom.jpg
    Damn HH, that's a lot of hardware back there!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast