Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Place diverter for Berk JC and motor question..

dm2bfree
    I just bought a '81 19' Sleekcraft w/ a 460 (my first boat). It doesn't have a place diverter on it and I'm wondering if its worth forking out the money to get one? I tested it out last weekend and i'm practically staring at the sky until i get up to speed for the boat to plane.. Does anyone sell used one's (preferrably hydrolic) & how much to they usually cost?
    Also, anyone know about how much RPM a (pretty much stock) 460 should running? I was topping out about 2900 rpm, the boat was moving good, but it just seems kind of low?
    Thanks in Advance!

A diverter would help you get on plane much quicker and without all that bow rise. Definitely a good investment. They occasionally come up for sale used, but don't count on getting one for a bargain price. Figure on paying 1/2 to 3/4 the price of a new one.
    You should be turning somewhere more in the neighborhood of 4500 rpm. Check the tach to be sure it is accurate. By the way, the max rpm will be dependant on engine power and the size of the impeller, therefore, no firm answer can be given.

BigBlockBaja
    If ya see a good deal on a manual diverter, dont pass it up. I have a manual diverter and have no complaints.

thehookerman
    try looking on ebay somtimes they have em

dm2bfree
    i'll definitely be checking that tach.. i though 2900 was kind of low..

dm2bfree
    i'll definitely be checking that tach.. i thought 2900 was kind of low..

Check that tach, so if it's reading correct 2900 rpm's you have other issues to look at. Most boats won't plane off or stay on plane at 2900. Good luck Sleek

SmokinLowriderSS
    The diverter is worth every nickel, completely alters the character and enhances the capability of the boat. Definitely check that tach, If it isn't lying to ya, then you have issues of a very large impeller or a very weak engine. Personally, the likelihood it is lying is pretty good.

El Prosecutor
    I just bought a '81 19' Sleekcraft w/ a 460 (my first boat). It doesn't have a place diverter on it and I'm wondering if its worth forking out the money to get one? I tested it out last weekend and i'm practically staring at the sky until i get up to speed for the boat to plane..
    I bought my first boat in September, 19' Hawaiian mini day-cruiser. Your description of staring at the sky while getting up on plane reminded me very much of my own experience. To make a long story short I ended up replacing the impeller and rebuilding the pump, and I don't stare up at the sky nearly so long now. In other words you may have a lot of low end performance hiding in that boat that you don't know about yet that might be found by tightening up the pump. That said, I am still going to save up for a diverter too - been seeing to many roost videos. . . .
    BTW, welcome to Just Jets - this is a fun, diverse, strange, enlightening, sometimes crass but never boring community.

kp216
    Like others have said, a diverter is worth every penny.
    I bought a Aggressor hydraulic for mine several years ago and it was the some of the best money I've spent. Even pulling 3 tubes behind my heavy "station wagon", I can keep the nose flat during launch. Not only that, but you can adjust your boat's handling when the water conditions change. If you can come up with the money, do it.
    Quote - I was topping out about 2900 rpm, the boat was moving good, but it just seems kind of low?
    I think your tach is probably wrong too. I don't see how you could ever get on plane if you weren't turning any more than 2900 RPM. What speed are you running when the boat does get up?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast