Thread: 455 starter

JROCK
    Hi,
    I was down in Havasu over mem day (what a great time) and my starter just died. click click click
    any idea on what a fair price for a replacemnt and install is?
    THanks!!!

Wet Dream
    If you have a open engine, any standard replacement will work. All of $35 or so. The bitch is getting them out without having to remove the engine. Some hulls allow enough room, others don't. If you have an enclosed engine hatch, and want to stay legal and safer, marine starters are gonna hit the wallet with a vengeance.

Wet Dream
    Ohm yeah, don't be so sure the starter is bad. If you can jump the starter using a screwdriver between the main positive feed and the key terminal feed on the starter (the big nut and the little nut on the starter) and it turns over just fine...you may just need a new wire between the ignition switch and the starter. Its happened to me. I actually went through 2 batteries to find out is wasnt the battery at all.

Sniper4x4
    JROCK, heads up I switched my starter from a standard 455 car starter to a Tilton super starter I had issues with the starter not fitting the Milodon oil pan it needed some adjustment which was done with the engine out of the boat. if you plan on switching it I'd stay with the same size starter unless you plan to lift the motor.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
    Autozone or Oreilly rebuilt starter. Should set you back $35 but it has a lifetime guarantee. One time fee starter for life. Going on 2 seasons on mine. works great.
    Omega

Taylorman
    I would just go have it rebuilt so you don't run into any compatibility issues. Thats what i did with mine. Mine mounts on the back of the bellhousing which makes it a reverse turning starter which would be expensive to replace. Look for a starter and alternator repair shop.