Thread: Oil Temps

Wet Dream
    This my first year with an oil temp gauge and a block pressure gauge. Sunday was the first day out and the lake temp was 60*.
    The valve is a little on the closed side to build some heat in the block. The block pressure gauge was bouncing about 1-2psi at 3500, with engine temps at 140* but oil temps at 210-230 and climbing to 240 after 5 miles in the run. The system is set up like this:
    From the pump to a gate valve, from the gate to the oil cooler, to a "T". one side to the headers (closed at this time), manually controlled, and the other side to the engine. This attempts 2 things. One to cool the oil as best as possible, the other preheat the water temp before reaching the engine. This is a large style cooler, it holds almost 1qt of oil itself. Does the oil temp seem normal, or is it restricted down so far that its probably not cooling the oil like it should? The lake temps will reach 80-84* before long. I've talked to a few people and this appears to be on the normal side.

Moneypitt
    I think 240 after 5 miles is in the ballpark, but i wouldn't restrict the inlet side of the system. I was always told to restrict the water leaving the boat to control water temp in the engine. The pressure, 1-2 Lbs @ 3500 is scary low.......Why so low? A standard automotive cooling system runs above 12 lbs, what you have is a trickle passing thru the oil cooler and engine. Open the gate, and restrict the water leaving the boat with a cable operated ball valve, your oil temp should come down and water temp up slightly.........Just my .02...........Moneypitt

Hallett19
    At WOT after a few min my oil temp will get between 240 and 280 and I dont run a cooler. In fact, I run a gate valve and keep it open all the time with my water temp running around 130 and my oil at above temp. When I turn my gate valve down, (less water flow) and get my water temp around 170, my oil temp will run much hotter. I think I need an oil cooler but just because you are running less water to your block and keeping your water temp where it should be, does not always mean you are keeping the oil where it should be either.

240 oil temp after running hard is perfectly normal.

Wet Dream
    Sounds good to me. Thanks guys.