Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ignition timing

Fiat48
    Yep. Less cylinder pressure. You can get an unblown deal, even high compression to start at about 24, but risk kickback on the starter. We start the blown alcohol at 34 and need a good aftermarket starter to do it. Sometimes we get a little kickback. It's 12.5 to 1 but big camshaft lets us get away with it.
    Biggest deal is this stuff they are selling us called "pump gasoline." Seems the stuff has been changed so many times I have no idea what you can get away with performance wise. So my opinion is pump gas and anything over 9.5 to 1, you're asking for trouble. Racing gas or the ultimate....alcohol.

GofastRacer
    Originally posted by Speedin' Ian
    Thanks for the advice fiat, I won't start it that way again. For this weekend we'll just start it at 18 and then advance it once it's running. What kind of additive do you recomend?
    With 10 to 1 you shouldn't have too much problems as long as you keep the lead down. If you're worried about it, mix 50/50 Avgas and 92 and you'll be safe!. I've tried different additives and I don't care for them, too hard to read plugs, and they're too expensive!..Oh btw, Avgas is very dry don't forget the Marvel, 4 ounces to 10 gals!..

Infomaniac
    Lots of good suggestions here.
    You can also get it spinning as fast as possible before throwing the ignition on.

Thunderbutt
    I agree with Flat, don't lock it out. I have a 468 with 750's on a tunnel ram, 11.5 to one. The mag has 16 built in and I run the timing at 36,it starts easy. I tryed runing it at 34 or less and it just doesen't run right. I run 92 pump with an additive, if you can get Avgas do that. The local airport here won't sell it. so I use 104 or Moroso. I also keep the Carb's a little on the fat side. If someone wants to race, I lean the carbs an take the timing to 38 or even 40 with race fuel, even then you take a chance on burning a piston. This motor is going on 33 years with 2 rebuilds, one of them I just did. Try Joe Hunt, he isn't there, but they still know what there doing

Dave C
    I have done many of the above (except alcohol IN the motor… just driver)
    IMO, leave the advance in the distributor and don’t lock it out. Very little gain for too many headaches, i.e. broken starter, flywheel, etc. etc.
    Timing with Kalifornia Gas…. be careful. I ran 50/50 mix with av gas in order to run lots of timing 38-40.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12