Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Inspection for insurance

RIPPINGNOLEGSKROKER
    I just bought a 19' California performance and Progressive requires an inspection. I thought I would be money with through transom headers but it sounds like any exposed motor might be trouble. Any advise on selling it to the inspector, and if they cancel me who do you use for your 70-100MPH jet boat???

If you have to sell them, tell them there's less threat of fire with an open engine. Plus, it doesn't REALLY go 70, now does it?

FOURQ
    im going through the same thing right now with my southwind tunnel.. i told them it was a tri-hull and now they want to take pics i am a little worried since they wont insure a tunnel ant i told them it only went 60 mph..lol ya right . well post what happens when they take the pics i want to know if they canceled you ..hope not

Some Kind Of Monster
    Make sure they know that it is only 250hp, and that all your safety gear is in check. Also, you went the safe route with thru-hul headers so that noone would get burnt. Also, you have a flame arrestor to supress backfires right? And a foot throttle with a spring to return to idle in case something happens to the driver Plus Jets are safer because it won't hack you up if someone falls overboard. Milk it.

sidewound
    I went through this last year. I was advised to fess up to the insurance dude about what I had.
    RE: If you lie on your insurance it will void your coverage.
    Wouldn't it suck to hurt someone and have your insurance cancelled due to dishonesty. Not to mention the out of pocket expense after your claim was denied. Just my .02
    Peace Man!
    CESAR

RIPPINGNOLEGSKROKER
    250HP with dual 750's and a tunnel ram, ya right. Have all the safety gear, vests, throw cushions,fire extinguisher,whistle, deadman lanyard, flame arresters, oar etc. I thought a 14 year old jet boat with thru transom exhaust would be a slam dunk. How the hell are people insuring all the big dollar,big HP cats on Havasu. I am beginning to think there are a ton of people out boating with no insurance, and that is very concerning. I have a few friends going though the same process and will let you know the outcome.

I'm sure Boatcop knows the specifics, but there is a formula the CG uses to determine the HP of boats. This might be a good time to repost it, since few people dyno their engines and overstating HP may bite people in the ass.

superdave013
    when AAA can out to take photos of my boat I uncovered it and let them have at it. They got close ups of the dry tail pipes comming out of the twin turbo's too. I told them I had no idea how much power it made or how fast it went. (I was telling the truth too as I had not driven it yet).
    What ever you do don't lie. Like sidewound said, wouldn't it suck if....

miketsouth
    I just put a little mouse motor in a cheyenne tunnel. I spoke to insurance agents across the states. No one will insure it for any price. Dont matter how fast it goes, how much horsepower, open engine or anything else. The word TUNNEL seems to get them everytime.
    Some of them were very informed and had boats themselves. Some were even willing to suggest ways around liability. They could discuss hull design, motor configurations, pump setup...very informed and real guys, some of them. Anything under 26' or $50k and they just automaticly say no.
    I was going to spend the money and drill holes in my boat to put nice TT lightnings on it, and build a motor box. Dont matter. They aint gonna insure it. My home umbrella wont cover it until some underwrites it for some price.
    If someone knows an insurance agent who will insure a cheyenne tunnel, please let me know.

Brian Ray
    Wow, this is interesting....I hope AAA doesn't give me a hassle when I go to insurance our "new" boat next week.
    -Brian

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast