Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Break in period on a new engine?

mud duck
    What is the typical break in period on a new engine? Is there really a typical time period? Can I reset my hour meter back to zero now that I am practically starting over?
    I feel like an excited little kid with a new toy, so I damn well don't want to break this toy this time around.

I was wondering the same thing. I have always been told that break in on a car is at least 500 miles usually 1000. But i notice that on these forums people only care about the break in period on the cams and then tell people to go put the pedal thru the floor. Since i'm doing this rebuild on my motor i have been reading thru the rebuild manual (once before i start to assemble) and i got thru a section on rings. They basically said that molly rings will break in almost instantly where chrome rings pretty much never break in and cast take a bit longer. Maybe it's because most of the guys on here are running forged pistons with molly rings?

HBjet
    Broke the cam in for 5 minutes on the dyno, then made 20+ WOT pulls from 4000rpm - 6500rpm.
    HBjet

BrendellaJet
    Not even the professional builders will agree on this question. If you dont have a roller cam, the 5 minute break in wont work. Once the cam is broken in, and your happy with the tune up, drive it like you stole it.

clownpuncher
    I don't know the answer. What I do know is I just had my engine done by Paul Pfaff and the break in period was via 1 hour on the dyno. They lake tested the boat and ran it fairly hard to make sure it was dialed in. Now, I can basically go to the river, start it up and go with no hassle. The only thing I was told to do on the brand new engine was to take it easy and watch the gages for the first couple of hours, make sure no leaks and all pressures are normal.
    I'm sure someone with good knowledge will give you some better guidance. Good luck

Foggerjet
    1) 25 Mins @1800 rpm on the trailer(drive uncoupled).
    2) Launch boat
    3) Battery flat. (daughter playin in boat, left nav lights on)
    4) Remove flat battery
    5) Remove battery from friends truck, he had already launched and was up the lake, What am I gonna do drive home? Besides my truck has side posts.
    6) Sit in my truck with the A/C on for a while
    7) Haul ass to the other side of the lake
    8) haul ass back to the ramp
    9) load the boat, and go home
    10) change oil from 10w/30 to Royal Purple 50
    11) head back to lake, cell phone rings and it's shitbird up at the lake wonderin' where his battery is?
    12) Replace battery in my boat, Put fuzzy nutz battery back in his truck while he drinks beer and throws rocks at me for stealing his battery.
    I don't recommend this break-in proceedure for everyone, but this is how I did it while y'all were at FC.
    We had a great time, after the above bullshit
    fog

Some Kind Of Monster
    LOL, Taking batteries from trucks for the boat sounds familiar. I bring a jumper pack with now.
    I have only hears 20-25 minutes at around 2k RPM to break in the cam, then drive it like you stole it.

LVjetboy
    Put it on the dyno, run the h*ll out of it.
    Put it in the boat, adjust fuel and run the h*ll out of it some more.
    In between times change oil and filters like you got Exxon stock.

jer

AmericanThunder1
    one cool thing about tech. these days is most of our parts are cnc machined so they are so precise that the break in is to make sure you or someone else put it back together right!
    As for me I launched the boat and went up river for 2 miles barely on plane then another few miles throttleling up and down up and down then turned around and hammered down and took her home to change the oil.

berk
    yes 2K rpm for 30 min is critical!! i know of two guys who blew up the cam having not done this. after the 30 min change oil and youre ready to rip.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast