Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Southwind Tunnel Dragster

MudPumper
    I'm driving down the street today minding my own business when I spot the boat. Me being Me, I have to stop and look. This lady comes out and I ask her if she minds if I look at it and if it is for sale. She laughs and says, "it is, make my husband and offer." It's been sitting in her driveway for 6yrs and she wants it gone. The trailer needs new bunks, tires, wireing and probabley bearings. The hull is faded to hell on the deck from sitting outside for the last 6yrs but I couldn't find any rot or soft spots in the entire boat. No major cracks to be found and the bottom looks to be in great shape. The interior is shot and all the cables, throttle, steering, forward/reverse and diverter are frozen. It has a Berkely pump with diverter, I couldnt get to the ID plate to see which pump it is. The motor is a Harman Marine 454. Everything looks stock from the factory. All the hardwear is mounted in the origional locations and it has the origional rail kit. So my question is this. Considering the work this boat will require, what is this boat worth, and how much should I offer the guy for it? This boat will be a winter project for me, as if I don't already have my hands full with my current boat. The HID says its a 78 Southwind by Jemcraft. Here are some pics!!
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/..._Drag1-med.JPG
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/..._Drag2-med.JPG
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/..._Drag3-med.JPG
    More to Come!!!

460rogers
    So thats what the ski holders looked like!
    Looks like a JG with a manual place diverter,But what do I know?

1Bahnerjet
    sure looks like its been sittin' for 6 yrs...
    now the Question is, does the Owner of that SW Tunnel know what he has ?
    and will he take the $1,500. a Boat in that Condition brings. (the Motor may be an anchor) so your buying Hull, Jetdrive & Trailer all of which needs to be rebuilt...

mouzer
    $2000 to $2500 if you dont want i'll take it! ive had 7 sw dragsters,its all there grab it fast..................if you can get it for less great.......

SPECTRABRENT
    Its worth $3500 all day long.
    Brent

pebo
    And if nobody else wants it I will take it also !

Nucking futs
    Well being it a southwind and all it must be worth somthing huh?I would offer 1500. and work from there.The trailer bunks are a little to skinny for that boat,it should have 2x8. Also look in the pod area and look under the boat and look for cracks and also in the center pod in the seem from the front of the engine back.If no sighns of stress cracks or gel cracks its good to go.If you dont want it let me know I will take a look at it.My brother just picked one up for 5500 complete fresh engine(????)and she cleaned up good.There are 2 more fore sale on boattrader.com a blue one 7500.oboand a red&silver for 8500.obo and are real clean looking.THat thing need alot of tlc and would come around all right

LakesOnly
    Looks like basically an original unmolested example. That's cool.
    It also looks like a money pit. The whole damn thing must come completely apart and gone though. You mentioned all the cables, throttle, steering, forward/reverse and diverter are frozen. Then there's the interior. Etcetera.
    Once again, it sure is cool to find a Southwind T/D that is not an x-drag boat that is destroyed. But if you really believe that particular boat to simply be a winter project, then I assume you have plenty of cash laying around to throw at all the issues that willl rear their ugly head and be cause for you to subcontract everything out so as to have it completed by next spring.
    I'm with Futts: $1500. Personally, I'd want a cleaner example, but a hull like that is indeed worth saving.
    LO

Your all over it Mike, go get it, offer him 1500 or 2000 for it. Tear it apart and make a project boat out of it, looks like a fun project too.
    We have one of those SWTDs, they are great lake boats!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast