Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 460 connecting rod recomendations

LakesOnly
    Originally posted by Ranz1
    Lakesonly, When going stroked or even a nicley built 460 it it cost effective to just get a set of Edelbrock's Performer RPM 460 Aluminum Cylinder Head Click Here (http://edelbrock.com/automotive/headford460.html) (About $1760 from Jegs) ?
    What is this site you guys are talking about
    The E460 head is a really great out-of-the-box head, but the link in your post is NOT to a 429/460 head, they are for an for FE series 428 motor (a completely different engine). be sure to get the 429/460 Edelbrock Performer cylinder head.
    The website is:
    http://reincarnation-automotove.com/
    LO

LakesOnly
    Originally posted by OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
    You will spend close to that amount trying to get the d3' to work right.
    I think it should also be mentioned that if your crank is not shot you can off set grind the crank use a chevy rod and swap the pistons for less than the above kit and I guarantee the Ford casting is much better quality than the above mentioned brand.
    Omega
    This is true and in this case, the Eagle "I-Beam" or H-beam" will work, choice depending on HP/rpm requirements.
    In regard to the D3's (since 460 Waikiki has his shortblock to repair/rebild first), again they will continue to be a viable option--even for the 514 stroker kit--and will work with the stock valve train as much as I origninally stated above. But indeed, a complete max-effort workover of the factory castings will rival the cost of aluminum heads and is something to consider. I guess I just like to make the stock stuff work.
    Incidentally, D0VE's and D3VE's now flow about the same, both work well to 6500 rpm and are both supporting 700 dyno-proven horsepower.
    cstraub69 has buit an engine with oem castings for a truck puller and, as I recall, it spins to 7800 rpm. (chris? chime-in?)
    LO

If your going to put aluminum heads on a BBF, Blue Thunder is the only way to go. They make serious power out of the box with mild camshafts.
    Chris

LakesOnly
    Originally posted by cstraub69
    If your going to put aluminum heads on a BBF, Blue Thunder is the only way to go. They make serious power out of the box with mild camshafts.
    Chris
    C-
    For a 5500 rpm jet boatmtor?
    -P

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
    Originally posted by LakesOnly
    This is true and in this case, the Eagle "I-Beam" or H-beam" will work, choice depending on HP/rpm requirements.
    In regard to the D3's (since 460 Waikiki has his shortblock to repair/rebild first), again they will continue to be a viable option--even for the 514 stroker kit--and will work with the stock valve train as much as I origninally stated above. But indeed, a complete max-effort workover of the factory castings will rival the cost of aluminum heads and is something to consider. I guess I just like to make the stock stuff work.
    Incidentally, D0VE's and D3VE's now flow about the same, both work well to 6500 rpm and are both supporting 700 dyno-proven horsepower.
    cstraub69 has buit an engine with oem castings for a truck puller and, as I recall, it spins to 7800 rpm. (chris? chime-in?)
    LO
    I think with the extra stroke of the 514 an adjustable valve train with a more aggressive cam would be in order to help maximize the added flow potential. If he is ready to drop the coin to build a stroker why not build the heads to go with it or buy new heads as it may be. I would feel better about building a 10:1 engine with aluminum heads than iron, but I do tend to be a little over conservative.
    Has anyone experienced corrosion problems with aluminum heads in a jet?
    Omega

LO,
    I didn't catch your previous post, yes I have a customer that has built 3 of these Fords now with the 3 heads. All have the exh. port plate. They are truck pullers and as with most of these engines, they get the snot run out of them. The motors make a legit 700HP with flat tappet cams and 460ish CID.
    On the BT. Yes, I did a hyd. cam for a couple pump gas 460s with the BT's. These were 6000 rpm combos, can remember the exact numbers but HP was in the 575 range.
    Chris

Checkmate
    I run the Eagle H beam rods in my 460. The engine doesn't NEED them, but if I want to upgrade (which will probably happen) I can without rebuilding the whole damn thing.

Ranz1
    Lakes, Did you scroll down on the link and see the 429/460 edelbrock heads on the page?
    The reason i thought the heads would be a good idea is the cost for complete heads, readey to bolt on and aslo the issues with me running LOW octane gas i might get away with better compression. Or am i just not understanding this whole compression thing with cheap gas? Ant

flat broke
    Just to chime in on what Chris said about the Blue Thunder's, Hack Job ran those heads with a mild port job on the exhaust side and is pulling 735HP at 6100 (I think). The motor is nothing special downstairs: offset ground Ford crank, Eagle H beams, JE/SRP slugs. 501 CI at around 10:1 (only reason I can't tell you the exact CR is because I don't know for sure, but I bet he does).
    Before anyone says that the peak power is too high in the powerband, Hacker was spining the motor to 6k in the boat against a prepped B impeller. If I remember the dyno sheets correctly, the motor only gave up a couple HP between 6000 and 6100. The power band is pretty broad for the setup, so the Blue Thunder's can obviously support lower RPM operation. Another nice option with those heads is the available Chevy exhaust pattern. This can make life a lot easier if you are looking for jacketed headers of any type.
    Chris

cook1
    If you run the edelbrock heads opt for the heavey duty valves as they only come with cheaper stainless valves. If you don,t want the engine to rev high then the 290 cc volumes will work well to build extra torque around 4000 rpm.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12