Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need painting help

ESB
    OK first off. I SEARCHED! and didnt find all I was looking for.
    I have an 18' CHeetah Jet boat. Not sure what year. guessing late70s early 80s.
    Ive got it stripped down and getting ready to paint. Ive decided to go paint not gel.
    NOw, what grit should I sand down the hull with? I baught a new Dual Action Sander today and some 60,100, and 150 gritt paper.
    THe gel on this thing is pretty bad. theres not a smooth spot on the top of boat. Its cracked pretty bad. It has had more than enough sunny days on its skin.
    SO should I start with any of these gritts or something else?
    Also about how much paint would be required for an 18' jet?
    I'd rather have a little to much than to little once I get into it.

show us a pic and we'll go from there!(pics help, really)your in the rite place there are plenty of knowledgeable people on here to help ya out!
    MarKist

ESB
    I have no way of getting a pics up. I dont have a dig cam.
    Even for a tipical sanding job what would you start with?

Jet Hydro
    220 then go to 320 or 400 then use a good 2 part primer, sand that with 400 then wet sand with 600. ready to paint.

ESB
    ^^^ COOL thats the kind of stuff im lookin for.
    I guess I need to hit up my local paint supply soon for the sand paper. I picked my sander up at Lowes today and thats the only grits they had. I guess I will save them for something else.

if its "cracked up pretty bad"?....that is the area i would first tackle (fiberglass rep.), then i would most definitly prime!

460 jus getn it
    here is the bottom of my boat. i used omni by ppg, this paint is awsome. i dont really remember what we sanded with i think 400 but dont quote me on that. http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...cf0013-med.jpg

Wally_Gator
    If you are using a D.A. sander and the Gel is pretty bad.
    I am going to suggest using acetone on the boat first (or some other wax stripper) to remove all of the wax and crud. This can clog up the sandpaper really fast.
    Also using a DA sander and needing to remove that much gel to smooth out the cracks. Start with your 60 grit and alot of it.
    Otherwise you will be sanding for days with the higher grits.
    If the gel is that bad make sure you completely remove any chalky gel. As you are sanding you will know you have hit the chalky stuff as it cuts alot faster. This is not good stuff to pait over as it is not a solid base for new paint and primer.
    Tecnique is very important. A DA sander can remove alot of material and can also put waves in your base fiberglass. Make sure that you keep it moving and dont rest in one spot. You probably want to get a long bard for sanding your rails and work in x patterns on complex curves as you wouldn't want to put a flat spot in the rails.
    After you get the gel straigtened out with the 60 you should be able to work up to the higher grits in very short order.
    60 is to remove material and fix your base.
    100, 220 and higher are to remove sanding scratches from the lower grit levels.
    Good luck and have fun.

Backtanner
    Originally posted by 460 jus getn it
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...cf0013-med.jpg
    No problems painting it outside like that?

rssfla
    wally has some good advice, I'm doing the same thing, well me and the guy I hired to do it.
    I did alot myself with a DA & 80 is where i started 3m gold is good paper and the DA is a portacable 125 bucks and really kicks ass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast