Thread: Fuel pump question

565edge
    I run a product engineering fuel system.I have their big pump-filter combo with thier y-blocks and fittings.They tell me not to run the bypass back into the feed line.I hear some of you do this.In my new boat i cant remove fuel tanks to add return lines.I wanted to have a y-block made with three inlets.2 would be from the tanks for the feed and the other i was going to plum the bypass back into.What do you think.They say no way!It will ruin the pump.Need help

sgdiv7
    I would take there advice and not do it. I have never tried it but this is my .02 cents 1st I think you would have a aeration problem. 2nd I think you might have a flow or surge problem because of pressurized return line screwing up the incoming flow.
    You could always tap into the filler neck or hose by putting a fitting in there to return the fuel to the tank. I have worked on every brand of car for 25 years now and I have never seen a manufature do a fuel system that way. It always goes back to the tank.
    You can always do the r&d and let us know if it works or not. Im always up for learning something new.

Running it back to the intake line pretty much kills the benefit of cool fuel drawing from the tank. IMO of course.

DogHouse
    I have a high pressure Aeromotive pump, and it runs warm, even with the return lines to the tanks. I could easily see it getting hot if the fuel was recirculating directly into the feed line.
    -brian

Infomaniac
    I run the bypassed fuel to a BG "Y" that tees the tanks together without any problems. Have on several boats.
    If you are running a pump that flows 3 times what you need, I can see it being a concern. Otherwise the bypass only needs to crack open to relieve the pressure down to where it is set. Not a tremendous volume of fuel being returned.

565edge
    I dont know if the bypass is different from the return line.I do know a shitload of fuel flows from the bypass.I would say just as much as the pump pumps.

RACER52
    i run mine back thru a fuel cooler and then back into the teague fuel filter mount. that way cold or cool fuel is entering back into the feed line before mixing with other warm fuel in the tanks. The pump seams to stay cool also.