Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Payback - Want lower taxes or to know about personal finance stuff?

dean51267
    Hey guys, I am a CPA and a new guy on the board. Thanks for the input on my post, and just reading others post helps me get up to speed a bunch.
    As a way of paying back (cause I will be sucking info from you and adding littl boat info back) if you have tax or personal investment/financial planning question ask away and I will answer.
    I have a graducate degree in tax, own a large CPA firm, and pretty much split my time between taxes and financial planning.
    My phone is 270-554-0720, and email is Dean@owencpa.com

CAHotRodBoy
    Great. I'm 48 and want to retire by 50. I am broke 'cause all my money goes into the boat. How can I accumulate $2M in retirement fund in two years and still spend 75% of my time on the water?

Essex502
    Crime...only way unless you have rich relatives that will die in two years and leave it to you. Or...buy lots of lottery tickets and keep your fingers crossed.

Essex502
    Serious question for a sanity check of what my tax guy told me...
    I am building a house in LHC...
    I bought the lot and financed it on an interest only loan...
    The contruction loan paid off the lot and is interest only as well...
    I will get a new fixed interest final load when the house is done...
    All of the interest just mentioned was paid in CY2004...
    Now the question...
    Assuming the house is completed by year's end and I receive my Certificate of Occupancy by 12/31/2004....I understand all of my interest spend for the lot and construction is deductable as a second home interest...correct?
    Thanks in advance!
    And if you have any more boating questions...feel free to ask away.

dean51267
    THe certificate of ocupancy by 12/31 is not required, if interest is for a built, or building, a primary residence it is deductable.

dean51267
    Man, find a late 50's year old chick whose husband has kicked the bucket and has a wad of cash.
    Bout the only way I know to get done what you want to do.

CAHotRodBoy
    Okay, I was just kidding, my financial situation is just fine....but good idea about the widow thing. Think I'll start scanning the obits.

Essex502
    Originally posted by dean51267
    THe certificate of ocupancy by 12/31 is not required, if interest is for a built, or building, a primary residence it is deductable.
    Not a primary residence...it is a second home interest deduction. Still hold true? If the CO slips until next year, how is this year's interest deducted on next year's second home?

dean51267
    I should have accented RESIDENCE, not PRIMARY.
    It will not be a problem unless something really, really funny going on. The only time I know this would not work is if you were selling drugs from second location.
    Way out stuff before it is not deductible.
    P.S. - 200 business clients I work for each month, 14 years experience, 300 audits in total, never lost a question of law. Take the write off, no one will look twice.

riverbound
    do you handle audits? I am being auited for 2000 2001 2002. My old tax guy got busted for fraud and now they are going through all my returns. After reviewing my returns with someone else they said I am screwed because the returns were not done properly. He had boosted up all my business expenses and charitable donations which weren't true. now it looks like I am going to be into the IRS for about $12k

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast