Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time to be humbled

68campbell
    I finally sold the flatty and promptly "invested" the money in a race car.
    My first race is this saturday at the Santa Maria Speedway. (Mini-Stock #2x)
    I need advise, pointers and tips from anyone who has driven a race car as this will be my first time.
    The good news is that I am excellent at body work and "re-fabrication".
    http://www.mavericksaloon.org/bmw1.jpg

Freak
    How’s the setup? Has that car been running on the track you plan on attending? You have a friend that has been running? Don't let the frustration in the beginning get you down.
    Usually a practice is held on a weeknight. At least the tracks I attended. Go to it this week. Then you get to run with a few guys instead of a whole field and the other drivers will help and you will have a little seat time before the big night. Watch the other drivers. Look for their break points on the track. Remember them. Ease into those break points. Meaning break early in the beginning. If not I guarantee you will go in to hot and will be facing the wrong way. My car I braked hard at the break point to set the car then slowly lifted so at the apex I was back to the gas. Don’t fool with the setup in the beginning. Learn the car first. Run some laps. Right now you have no idea what it needs. Then make small changes one at a time. Like air pressure on one tire. Feel the difference.
    In the drivers meeting they will tell the slower drivers to stay low on the straights if the leaders are coming around. Watch the flags he should tell you when they are behind you. HO BOY YOUR GONNA HAVE SOME FUN!
    A post of how you did is mandatory.

68campbell
    The set-up is 60-40 left to right and front to rear. The car has been running with a "newer" driver. We just completed a new car for him and I get this car til my new one is ready (about a month away). The set-up seams to work on this track, but til I'm behind the wheel I don't know if its right for me.
    I've pulled ski racers since I was 16 and have been driving flatty's about as long, so being in the "mix" and driving fast shouldn't be an issue.

Freak
    Cool so your not totally green and it sounds like you have some peeps with ya running. You will be fine. Keep us posted.

riverbound
    Go fast then turn left

sidewound
    Make sure all the saftey gear is up to snuff!
    Peace Man!
    CESAR

summerlove
    Originally posted by 68campbell
    I finally sold the flatty and promptly "invested" the money in a race car.
    My first race is this saturday at the Santa Maria Speedway. (Mini-Stock #2x)
    I need advise, pointers and tips from anyone who has driven a race car as this will be my first time.
    The good news is that I am excellent at body work and "re-fabrication".
    http://www.mavericksaloon.org/bmw1.jpg
    let me see if I get this right....you sold a perfectly good boat and bought the car pictured above? Good luck with that!

Freak
    These pure stock classes are a ball to drive in if your car is fast. I loved rub'in through the pack. Ahhh memories.

HCS
    Originally posted by summerlove
    let me see if I get this right....you sold a perfectly good boat and bought the car pictured above? Good luck with that!
    That's just what I was thinking

OGShocker
    Originally posted by summerlove
    Might be hard to ski behind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast