Thread: Main Caps?

Highlimit9000
    Here's my problem. I have a Merlin II Tall Deck Block with 4 Bolt non-splayed caps. I want to build a 547 or 555 with a blower Probably 14:71 (low Boost) lookin for over 1000 Ponies. I have a LA Enterprise Crank, Carrillo Rods.
    Now do I spend the money and have the block converted to splayed caps or just run the 4-Bolt straight caps. I have read on some posts that converting 4-bolt main caps to splayed leaves less strength do to bolt hole material gone from original holes? Block is at machine shop in Vegas now. I have not decided yet what to do.
    Info greatly appreciated...John

Fiat48
    The Merlin II was dowel pinned caps. The idea of splayed caps is to keep the caps from walking. The dowel pinned caps should also. I got a few Merlins out there but I have never gotten one back to see if the caps walked or not.
    Have the machine shop check that the line hone is straight. Every Merlin I ever had it was not.

469 the coyote
    My boss has a merlin block with straight bolts and it makes over 2000 horsepower with twin turbos and he has not had a problem at all. The only time you want to convert a block two angled bolts is if it is a 2 bolt to start.

Highlimit9000
    Thanks for the replies. It does have dowl pins. I think I will just use as is...John