Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cylinder leak down?

Nstigator74
    At what percentage of cylinder leak down (file fit rings) do you guys concider it time to freshen your motor, on a lake racer.

Infomaniac
    I use the leak down mainly to compare the cylinders to each other. Look for problems.
    I have not run an engine long enough to wear out the rings before teardown in many years.

Nstigator74
    All the cylinders are within 10%, I just attained this motor and was trying to decide whether to drive it for a while, or go ahead and tear it down.

502procharger
    within 5% is ideal, but 10% should still be ok for a season or 2. I could be wrong but everytime i rip down a motor because of something really close to acceptable tolerances it ends up being a waist of money. the motor could have run a few hundred more hrs fine. just my 1 1/2 cents

Nstigator74
    I dont think it has that many hours left.....It's running a 8-71 20% over and injecting methanol

Nstigator74
    [img]http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/V-Drives/tn_Kurtis_motor.JPG[/img]
    sorry, I don't know how to enlarge the pic.

Infomaniac
    Nice engine. I would be more concerned about the bottom end. Do you cut open your oil filters?
    I ran mine 2 seasons. I will look at the bearings before next season. I have not had it apart since building it so I have not developed a history with this engine to feel good about running it any longer.

steve@kps
    Hey, infomaniac.......speaking of OIL FILTERS. Have you seen the systems1 filter? We use these filters on our race cars. Excellent filtration and it comes apart so you can inspect the filter for internal failures. Then wash it out in solvent, dry w/ an air hose, put back together, and wa-la your done. They cost about 90.00 but, well worth the investment. in my opinion.

Havasu Hangin'
    [img]http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/V-Drives/Kurtis_motor.JPG[/img]

Nstigator74:
    I dont think it has that many hours left.....It's running a 8-71 20% over and injecting methanol10% isn't bad, when it gets to 20% then think about freshining it up. On our TAFC we would re-ring at 20-25% but that was with a hi-helix 14-71 at 48 to 60% over.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast