Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: painting my boat

JET-O-VATOR
    If I decide to paint my boat would I have to sand the metal flake completly off? and is there a company out there that reproduces the rub rail ( i think thats whats its called the stainless/ rubber rail that runs around the boat)..........

BrendellaJet
    Your hull looks like it is original colors? Is there any paint on it, or is the metal flake mixed with the gel? If any of it is flaking off, you definitely need to sand it off so you have a good bond. If its solid, Id rough it up with 80 grit and go to town.
    Im doing my boat right now. Im spraying gel. Going very well. Lots of sanding, but I think it will be well worth it. Paint will chip easily.

Wally_Gator
    Sanding Metalflake....
    Definately make sure that you use a good mask. Older boats used actual metal in the gel. If this gets into your lungs it can cause a whole host of problems for you.

JET-O-VATOR
    IT DOESNT SEEM TO BE COMING UP ANYWHERE. ITS NOT FLAKING OR ANYTHING ITS JUST BADLY FADED FROM THE SUN IM COLOR SANDING AND BUFFING IT AT THE MOMENT BUT ITS NOT SEAMING TO HELP AND SHE LOOKS GOOD WET BUT OTHER THAN THAT SHES UGLY AS SIN.....MY BOAT (http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...y_boat-med.jpg)

1HOTGMCJET
    If it looks good when it's wet, maybe you should consider just clearcoating the current gel - can't vouch for durability, but it'll probably look a LOT better for you - Good Luck!

BrendellaJet
    Yep, I dont recall the name, but one of the guys(had a crusader hull I think) cleared over his and it looks awesome in photos. Id go that route if you are happy with the design...

disco_charger
    You should really get ahold of Toddnjuzz on the boards. He's the guy when it comes to this. He might be able to save what you have. If you want to get rid of the colors you have, he's really amazing when it comes to that. I had him do some repairs and work to my gel, and the boat looks near new. His prices are waaaaaay under anyone else in the industry. I looked.

JET-O-VATOR
    I DONT KNOW IF I POSTED THE PICTURE RIGHT BUT ITS THE MY BOAT (http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...y_boat-med.jpg) BUT YEA WHAT ARE YOUR OPINIONS....

BrendellaJet
    Definitely talk to todd. His work is very nice. Form the pics I've seen of your boat, its very straight. If you want to do it yourself, I can point you to a couple of websites that are very forthcoming with information regarding prep and application of the gel(if you wanted to redo...) the same sites could help you with the clear coat as well...

JET-O-VATOR
    THAT WOULD BE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED BRENDELLA.... MY BOAT IS VERY STRAIGHT THERE IS ONLY ONE PIECE OF PATCH WORK ON THE WHOLE THING AND IT IS A LITTLE QUARTER SIZE NICK IN THE VERY BACK CORNER OF THE BOAT. THAT SOMEONE FILLED WITH BONDO HOW WOULD THAT BE FIXED RIGHT??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast