Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help on boat purchase please.

dmbrazilian
    Hello and thanks for looking at my post. I am new to the boat world and me and my wife have been looking to purchase a boat. We are looking for a nice family boat with some power, we want an open bow and we have no idea as far as what to buy. I don't kown too much about boats and don't know what brand of boat that is good. I would like to find something that is a v8, fuel injected if possible but I have heard different things about the mercruiser and volvos??? I think from what I have heard so far I should go with a mercruiser but maybe you guys can tell me different. I would like to know maybe the top 10 boat names out there so that it can help with my purchase. I want to spend no more then 18,000 on one.
    Thanks for the help
    David

dmbrazilian
    Please help...I really don't know what to get and I realy want to make a purchase this week. I mean I know that cobalt and chaparral are good boats and to probably stay away from bayliner but I want to know about the others....
    Thanks
    David

Infomaniac
    You are looking at new boats?
    No one can offer good advice on a used boat because you cannot predict how it was maintained or driven.
    If you are loking at new boats. Buy the one with the best warranty in your price range.

Seadog
    To get a v8 on a decent sized boat in your range, you had better consider Bayliner or some of the other entry level boats, if you are looking for new. Glastron, Sea Ray and others have decent reps. The main thing is to find a good dealer. BTW, Bayliner had a few bad years a long time ago, but they are a decent entry level boat. Don't discount them.
    Get a copy of the boating magazines that you can find and study them. Boating Life (?) has an article on selecting a bow rider that applies to any style boat. Picking a boat depends on your needs and abilities. If you rush into a decision, you will stand a good chance of making a mistake. Also check out boatingABC (http://www.boatingabc.com)

dmbrazilian
    I'm looking at used boats and in my price range from looking at dealers around here in dallas and in the boat trader I can afford alot more boat then a bayliner... Now what I really want advice on is the name brand of the boats...you know like I said I think cobalt would be at the top and then maybe chaparral or something. So you think bayliner would be a good boat huh? I want a good boat that can hold about 10 people and still be able to pull a skier or wake board good and not have the front of the boat stand straight up while trying to do so... thanks for the advice so far and please keep them coming.
    Thanks
    David

Infomaniac
    Uesd boats does not matter as much about the brand. Cannot tell how they were driven or maintained regardless of brand.
    A poorly maintained great brand might compare the same as a well maintained lesser brand.

dmbrazilian
    Originally posted by Infomaniac
    Uesd boats does not matter as much about the brand. Cannot tell how they were driven or maintained regardless of brand.
    A poorly maintained great brand might compare the same as a well maintained lesser brand.
    OK lets say that the boats I will be interested in buying are in great shape, were driven normal and were well maintained...? Then what brand of boat would be good? I think I may be asking this question the wrong way or something. I just want to know the line up of boat brands....example: I think one of the top boats would be a cobalt and then what would be next, and after that....and so forth. I also would like to know a little about the motors and outdrives...Merks or Volvo?
    Thanks
    David

Seadog
    Of major manufacturers, Cobalt is high on the list, followed by Bryant. Chaparral, Four Winns, Rinker and several others are higher end models that are well liked. To haul 10 people comfortably, you are going to need at least a 26-28 ft boat and a big block. MC or VP depends on who is doing the maintenance. MC has 80% of the market, so more dealer are familiar with them, but Dallas would probably have a good VP shop.
    I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm, but even used Cobalts in good shape with plenty of power will usually cost well over $30, 000.

dicudmore
    thats a hell of a lot of people to try and carry and pull a skier....
    consider a used tournament boat for that....
    I used to be able to get up on a single behind my 18' Stingray 3.0 Volvo-penta with 5 other people on the boat but, the more people the harder its gonna be...
    not to mention how hard you're working the motor/drive at that point trying to get up behind it....

NashvilleBound
    Originally posted by dmbrazilian
    OK lets say that the boats I will be interested in buying are in great shape, were driven normal and were well maintained...? Then what brand of boat would be good? I think I may be asking this question the wrong way or something. I just want to know the line up of boat brands....example: I think one of the top boats would be a cobalt and then what would be next, and after that....and so forth. I also would like to know a little about the motors and outdrives...Merks or Volvo?
    Thanks
    David
    Used boats, like previously stated, are a risk at best. I suggest some magazines and books to help educate yourself on the boating industry. If your in TX some of the west coast boat builders might be another option for you, tho the names listed above are all good. Will you be in rough water? What kinda top speed are you looking for? Wakeboarding? Skiing? Day cruiser? Size? Towing restrictions(weight)? Price? Merk/Volvo.....depends on your application and year. If you find something post it online and I am sure you will get some replies. NEVER rush into anything and ALWAYS take a used boat on the water for a ride with someone that knows about boats besides the owner.
    Good Luck,
    NB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast