Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shasta Cat Attack

Rocket-J
    So, who won the King of the Lake for 2004? I see nothing posted for boats and speeds. Come on Wayne, keep us informed.
    This is like a soap opera. We have been reading all the hype and fast talk, but who layed down the fast run? Al

stoker2001
    rumor has it there was a little pisspot mirage just cleaning house from 0 to 100

Rocket-J
    I'm not talking about drag racing. They give the Trophy to the "fastest" boat. Did anyone hit 140mph as was predicted? Al

HP350SC
    Robbie Racer would be the fastest boat although he never had to prove it.

stoker2001
    Originally posted by Rocket-J
    I'm not talking about drag racing. They give the Trophy to the "fastest" boat. Did anyone hit 140mph as was predicted? Al just this guy in a four seater whacker stvhttp://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=468906

Rocket-J
    Way to go KZ (aka Robbie Racer). Two in a row and undefeated. Take it anyway you can. Going fast is easier than keeping those big HP motors together. Al

racer 52's shadow
    with 6 boats there wasnt to much racing goin on wasnt to much

Robbie Racer
    Thanks Al, yeah there was not nearly as much racing going on as there was last year but it was great to see everyone again. hulshot was able to get the day off so he was able to make it too and his Howard was running good. It was nice to also meet NorCalCat for the first time with his beautiful new Force 29. Racer 52's new cat looks even better in person compared to the pictures. He spent some time playing on the lap top trying to get the fuel curve perfected. HP350's Stoker looked great and was running good too. We made a brisk 80-100 mph cruise back from the Pitt arm which was fun. He had that thing aired out a couple of times next to me, that I thought it looked like a drag boat. I would not want to race that boat in a 1/4 mile drag race. Speaking of drag racing, Boatmaster was out having a blast tearing up the water with a damn quick Mirage. Kevin was there with his very fast Mirage but I didn't see him make a pass but I know he has run over 120 in the past with it. Rocket Man had his Daytona in the shop getting a new drive on it so he wasn't available to come out and play. I had a surprise for him (see attached picture) if he had brought it. The air quality was in the 3700' range on Saturday afternoon so I don't think he could have gone much past 133 or so on that day because of the air quality if he would have had his boat there.
    I made one 121 mph pass late Saturday afternoon on 91 octane pump gas boost with no nitrous. I hadn't used the nitrous yet and didn't want to break something on Saturday if something went wrong. I waited around to see if anyone could top that number for awhile but then I had to leave to go over to hook up with the LBBA guys for the potluck at Antlers that evening. I thought that when I got back out there on Sunday, I would make a nitrous pass but by the time I got out there around noon, everyone was GONE and I didn't have anyone to play with.
    So, I found Glen Schuler from Pleasure Boat Specialities over on a houseboat at Holiday Harbor. Glen helped me install the nitrous so I asked him to jump in his jet boat to watch for boats while I made a test pass on the bottle. We went down the McCloud arm and found a spot fairly clear of other boats. While Glen stayed up at one end of a long straight section I went down at the other end and put on the ballastic shorts, goggles and Lifeline. I armed the system and then got the boat on plane and accelerated fairly aggressively up to about 70. At that point I went to WOT and accelerated up to 120. By the time it hit 120 the boat was barely accelerating so I hit the button. I could feel it start a gentle acceleration again and I watched the GPS speedo bury itself somewhere past 120. Then I heard it hit the 7000 rpm rev limit chip so I got out of it. I had forgotten to turn on my hand held GPS to get an accurate speed reading but I knew it was over 130 just by the distance of the needle past the 120 mark and by the 7000 rpm tattle tale reading. I had switched back over from Wayne's 32 prop which had less slip that I had used on Saturday to my lab 32 on Sunday. Unfortunately, I ran out of prop when using the bottle and didn't have Wayne's prop in the boat with me, so I pulled the 7000 chip and put in a 7500 chip hoping the motor would stay together at that RPM for my next test run. So, Glen ran down to the end of the straight away and watched for boats while I got ready for the next run (and turned on the hand held GPS). He gave me the ok sign and I started into the 2nd test run. It started out the same as the 1st run and started to accelerate briskly after I hit the button at 120 but shortly after I hit the button, I hit a couple of fairly good sized rollers that I didn't see until I was on them and I had to get out of it. When I hit the recall on the tach, it had gone to 6700 and the hand held GPS said 127. That calculated out to a 23% slip factor so I used that same slip number to calculate the speed at 7000 rpm on the 1st run. That number came to 132 or 133 mph. I decided to quit with that as there were more ski boats coming into the area stirring up the water. The next time I try a nitrous pass, it will be with Rocket Man's prop (18% slip) to see if I can keep the rpm down below 7000. I was happy since I didn't break anything and the speed was about where I thought it would be.
    Over all it was a very nice weekend seeing old friends, making a few new boating friends, not breaking any parts and no one had any mishaps.
    Keith

jackpunx
    Awesome pass.. !!!!.. Congrats on those numbers.. I wish I could have made it.. Would have loved to play with hp350

spectratoad
    KZ, It was good to see you Saturday. That run in the afternoon was nice. Glad you didn't break anything. I am still getting stuff together to head up this weekend for our 10 day gig. You know where to find us if you get bored. Talk to you later.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast