Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stereo Popping

Speedin' Ian
    I have a Pioneer 7600 series cd player in my truck with one four channel kenwood amp powering the mids and highs, and a JBL amp powering the subs. The problem is I have a whinning noise that incresaes with the rpm's of the motor, which I am assuming is caused by the RCA cables crossing the power cable. The other problem I am having is my speakers pop everytime I change the station or I skip a song on a cd. What is causing all these problems? Could it be my cheap RCA's or my cap? Thanks

Havasu Hangin'
    It is an old wives tail running power wires next to RCAs causes noise.
    The whining is a ground loop. Make sure the grounds on your amps and head unit are sufficient. To me, it sounds like your head unit needs help.
    Disconnect your RCAs, and see if the noise goes away. If it does, the head unit needs help. If not, check the power and ground on the amp.

Speedin' Ian
    Thanks for the advice. I hope it's not my head unit because I just got it. Right Now I have the amps grounded to the body using an existing bolt, 8 guage wire, and a crimp fitting. Does that sound right? Should I sand the paint away?

ROZ
    Originally posted by Speedin' Ian
    Should I sand the paint away? Metal to metal contact gives you the best ground...

Havasu Hangin'
    I hope it's not my head unit because I just got it. Right Now I have the amps grounded to the body using an existing bolt, 8 guage wire, and a crimp fitting. Does that sound right? Should I sand the paint away?
    It could just be the install on the head unit (that's what I meant by "needs help"). Make sure it has a solid ground, as well.
    Like Roz said, get rid of the paint.
    Also, where are your gains set at?

riverbound
    Check your grounds and your gains the popping noise is most likely due to the fact that your gains are set to high and you are running a high voltage head unit. We have this problem on our display because we have to generically tune the amps to run with all the head units that are on display and the high voltage decks have a little bit if noise in them. You can also buy a filter that should get rid of the engine whine but if you readjust your amo you might be fine.

rivercrazy
    I agree also on the amp gain topic. I have a 4V preout head unit. When I first installed my system I did get a little hissing and CD changer motor noise. My grounds were fine.
    Then I retuned the amps and the noise was gone. Turn your head unit up about 85-90% full volume with all your gains turned to minimum. Then slowly increase the amp gain setting until you just start to hear distortion. Then back off a little. That should help reduce the noise problem to a minimum

Mr. Naudio
    Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
    It is an old wives tail running power wires next to RCAs causes noise.
    BULLSHIT
    If they are not of the finest quality (rca and power wire) and ran with each other you will most definetly get alternator whine.
    Agree though that ground loops are more common.
    And that the paint should be removed.

Mr. Naudio
    Thanks for the advice. I hope it's not my head unit because I just got it. Right Now I have the amps grounded to the body using an existing bolt, 8 guage wire, and a crimp fitting. Does that sound right? Should I sand the paint away?
    New things are always most subject.
    8 guage for 2 amps ?
    Power and ground should be of same guage.
    Is the head unit shuting off when yoy change stations ect.
    Did you get a bigger Alt, with the cap?

riverbound
    Originally posted by Mr. Naudio
    BULLSHIT
    If they are not of the finest quality (rca and power wire) and ran with each other you will most definetly get alternator whine.
    Agree though that ground loops are more common.
    And that the paint should be removed.
    I have many times ran the cheap rcas with the power wire and had no engine noise. Not that it is recommended. But doing this does NOT guarantee engine noise.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast