Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pre-Start Engine Lubing

surfer2001
    There are a few different companies making these systems, anybody here using one of them? What your opinion, Hot Mag did an article on one last year (MasterLube I think) . I understand they make oil pressure before you start your engine, what I donÂ’t understand is how these systems circulate the oil. Making pressure is one thing, circulating the oil is another?

PHX ATC
    I think, not sure, it just sends pressurized oil through the typical oil circulation route. It probably doesn't reach the entire route of flight for oil, but at least lubes up some of the cylinders and bearings that would benefit the most from it.
    Personally, I can't see spending the $$$ for an engine that I baby and probably won't keep past 200 hours or so. My automobile engines haven't suffered without one yet...

hd&boatrider
    I bought one for the new Shockwave but SW would not put it on for me. It is supposed to technically void your warranty from Mercury. It basically shoots oil into the engine prior to startup by pressing a little button first. Masterlube was what I bought. Still haven't installed it but will at 50 hours.....

Mandelon
    Its seems like a cool idea, but my F-250 has 130,000 miles on it and runs like badass.....Probably not necessary. Just do the right maintenance. You can buy a lot of oil changes for that $$$$.
    Does the company have any side by side controlled comparisons?

dirty old man
    I had a pair on a couple of hi $ engines. Worked beautifully. Electric pump pushed oil, actually brought pressure up to 50 psi before I started. Also great for oil changes, just install a drain port.

surfer2001

bigq
    The system is primed first and once discharged the engine oil pumps it back up. I have one for sale if interested, non liquid filled guage though, never installed.

AdrenelineOD
    Master lube claims that pre lubing will save 80% were and tear. I cant see having my enging run like new with 2000 hours on it. I would have one if I was made of $$$$ and if 80% is true.

surfer2001
    These systems sell for under $400.00, that does not seem like alot to me. Think about the coat of a complete rebuild.
    I'm never heard about the 80% claim, that seems like BS to me.

GlastronGuy
    Originally posted by surfer2001
    These systems sell for under $400.00, that does not seem like alot to me. Think about the coat of a complete rebuild.
    I'm never heard about the 80% claim, that seems like BS to me.
    I have heard the 80% claim.
    They basically say that 80% of an engines wear happens at start up because of lack of oil.
    When I de-winterize my boat I pull the distributor and use a cordless drill to spin my oil pump to pre lube the engine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast