Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need some to do system in new boat

bohica
    I having a new Conquest Top Cat II built right now. Went over to Car Toyz in Havasu to check out waht they got, get suggestions and an estimate. They seemed to be priced very high for what I was getting.
    3 pairs of the MB Quartz marine 6x9's
    3 Twelve inch JL audio subs
    Sony XM head unit
    1 75x4 JL amp
    1 500x1 sub amp
    10 disk changer
    2 remotes
    Misc. wires
    Some $300 battery
    Total estimate was around 5K, which included $700 install fee. Am I getting ripped off or is this reasonble. Also didn't like the idea of the subs in the rear seat base and not in enclosures. Only thing I did like is that they can do install as boat is being built.
    Need suggestions and maybe reference to someone else that can do it cheaper.

rivercrazy
    If I were you I'd look at the following:
    1) 500 watts for 3 subs is a little light (depending on the sub model your using).
    2) A 75 X 4 amp will not give 3 pairs of component speakers that much power
    3) If the subs are going in the rear seat base (great location IMHO), make sure they incorporate proper sized and constructed subwoofer boxes into the base. My suggestion is to have them build the enclosure out of 3/4" marine plywood, glassed, resined, etc. MDF takes a beating in a boating environment.
    Not sure on the pricing. Sounds rich on the equipment side.

Magic34
    Install price seems fair. At a high end shop, I paid almost $3k for install.

ROZ
    I can save you a bunch on the amps and subs... Just ask Rubths ...

bohica
    Originally posted by ROZ
    I can save you a bunch on the amps and subs... Just ask Rubths ...
    How about an install hookup. I'd offer up a free place to stay at my pad in Havasu, along with paying someone to do the job right.
    Also, I don't really want a cd changer. Maybe a head unit with a single cd and XM. Doesn't Alpine make one that doesn't require a separate add on for XM?

ROZ
    Originally posted by rivercrazy
    If I were you I'd look at the following:
    1) 500 watts for 3 subs is a little light (depending on the sub model your using).
    2) A 75 X 4 amp will not give 3 pairs of component speakers that much power
    3) If the subs are going in the rear seat base (great location IMHO), make sure they incorporate proper sized and constructed subwoofer boxes into the base. My suggestion is to have them build the enclosure out of 3/4" marine plywood, glassed, resined, etc. MDF takes a beating in a boating environment.
    Not sure on the pricing. Sounds rich on the equipment side.
    Remember that the amps he's listed are JL and the 75 and 500 are the minimum power output ratings at 10.5 volts..... Still, I'd consider the jl4504 to run the 6 speakers....

ROZ
    Originally posted by bohica
    Doesn't Alpine make one that doesn't require a separate add on for XM? Yes, but you loose the 3rd preout, sub controls, and MP3....

bohica
    Are the MB Quartz 6x9 marine speakers any good?

rivercrazy
    Originally posted by ROZ
    Remember that the amps he's listed are JL and the 75 and 500 are the minimum power output ratings at 10.5 volts..... Still, I'd consider the jl4504 to run the 6 speakers....
    How would you wire 6 speakers to a 4 channel amp without needing to "series" wire 2 pair?
    Don't JL's regulated amps put out the same amount of power between 10.5 to 14.4 volts? Not bashing JL. I like all their stuff!

mbrown2
    Seems pretty high to me on the equipment side......talk to Roz about the equipment....also, they did a buddy of mine's install and did not build the boxes...just put them in the seat bases...sound good, but I would be worried about volume and hard hitting base without seperate sealed or ported enclosures....I would rethink the Changer option...just nice not having to change CD's...Also, I know some folks bash them, but you can't beat Sony's stuff with the memory for not skipping on the water....Alpine, MB Quart, or Clarion, might be a little higher end, but SQ is not a factor on the water...
    If you do have them do it, I would like to see the install....might be having another system done for a new boat and would like to have it done in Havasu...so if it has issues, I don't have to take it far...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast