Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: quick fix for leaky oil pan????

ahhell
    anyone have a quick fix for a slight but annoying leak on an oil pan? i seem to have a bad weld on the little nurple thing the dip stick enters the pan thru, i'd prefer not to pull the motor, yet, just get thru the season. so far estimates are $695 for a new pan (gold 10 qt) and $800 labor
    im thinking JB weld or that spray on shit to get me thru the summer, any good ideas greatly appreciated....Thanks
    only lost less than 1/2 quart over the weekend..just annoying and messy

Fiat48
    If you can get to the area and roughen the surface, then clean with lacquer thinner and no oil bleeding through the crack (drain the oil level down some), I'd think JB weld would do it. Clean and dry is the trick.

Boater Bill
    Clean it thoroughly as Fiat48 suggests and try some of that black RTV.
    Cracks, cracked welds are not good though on both boats and m/c's because of all the vibration. Bandaids come off at the worst time, remember that.

Fiat48
    Another deal that works is Ultra Blue silicone seal. Clean area real good and gob it on there. Looks tacky...but will get you by. Fixed a lot of rusted through freeze plugs at the lake with that stuff.

copperrat20
    I know this sounds like something someone from kansas would do but that is only because someone from Kansas just told me this.
    Take a bar of ivory soap and rub it on the crack. Put a good amount of soap on there and it will seal it up.
    Personally I think that sounds like the dumbest thing I have ever heard but he told me to post it.

ahhell
    Originally posted by copperrat20
    I know this sounds like something someone from kansas would do but that is only because someone from Kansas just told me this.
    Take a bar of ivory soap and rub it on the crack. Put a good amount of soap on there and it will seal it up.
    Personally I think that sounds like the dumbest thing I have ever heard but he told me to post it.
    Ya know....may sound stupid, but with a $2000 alternative....i'll **** up a bar of ivory any time...also heard jb marine weld is tits, impervious to water, salt water and oil...worth a try....Thanks guys

ahhell
    Originally posted by Fiat48
    Another deal that works is Ultra Blue silicone seal. Clean area real good and gob it on there. Looks tacky...but will get you by. Fixed a lot of rusted through freeze plugs at the lake with that stuff.
    Tacky is no problem...hell the side of my oil pan is only seen by the spare life jackets anyway, maybe i'll JB the shit out of it Then ATV around that....

VD CRUISER
    I've had Marine Tex on mine for a couple of years now and it doesn't leak. You have to get it clean and scuffed with sand paper though.

My vote is Jb weld, dont bother doing it though unless you take the time to prep the surface and clean it with acetone or laquer thinner.
    I saw a brand new dooley jet pan the other day that leaked at one of the welds. What a joke.

superdave013
    Originally posted by VD CRUISER
    I've had Marine Tex on mine for a couple of years now and it doesn't leak. You have to get it clean and scuffed with sand paper though.
    I've fixed so much stuff with that. I love Marine Tex! Like the way the caytlist smokes when ya open the cap too!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast