Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Boating and racism

Lake Pirate
    Kinda touchy eh? Well... I was never that politically correct anywayz. Boating is still considered by many to be an elitist white man's sport (hobby.) In the past this was probably due to pure economics but in today's economy, there are many many minorities that can afford to be boaters. I know there are exceptions to every rule...but as a whole, I ain't seein' lot's of minorities out on the lake. In my opinion (note I said my opinion) the reason stems from association and not out and out racism. Most boaters I know (including myself) were exposed to boating through our family and friends. Not very many people get a wild hair and go out and buy a boat just for the heck of it. Which brings me to my point. What are you doing to help alleviate the racial barrier in boating? I personally haven't done much but, now that I've thought about it, I have many black and hispanic acquaintances that I should invite to the lake. Who knows... we may end up great friends or better yet...I could help boating.
    Thoughts?

BarryMac
    I married a beautiful Mexican lady and had three lovely daughters that I hope will continue on with our boating adventure, does that count as trying to bring minorities into our hobby?
    gjb

Lake Pirate
    Yep...it counts!

Dave C
    I'm not a racist... I hate everyone equally.....
    However, your right I am gonna bring my favorite mexican-american to the lake and treat him to a drink.... myself!

Bre
    All I know is it's funny to watch newbies that have rental boats try to park their boats in slips and launch them It's quite entertaining to say the least...doesn't matter what color they are..just newbies are great I don't know why it is considered a white man sport.... but I am sure glad to see a mix when we go out there....get's boring seeing the same thing time after time

OGShocker
    Originally posted by RiverDave
    Dumb question here? Why is it important to "invite" minorities into the sport?
    RD
    So everyone has a chance to clog the ramps!

Lake Pirate
    I'm not sure if that's an honest question or a deliberate aside. Since I don't know you I'll assume the best.
    It's really pure economics. We have many people come and go as boaters. Either for financial reasons or they just never have time to use their boat or they just didn't meet the right group. Either way you figure it...the more boaters there are the stronger we are economically and politically. Not to mention... I'd appreciate a break from some of the "snottier" elitists snobbing around the lake.

Bre
    Originally posted by RiverDave
    It's funny right up until one of them plows into the side of your boat on their jetski, or a rental pontoon etc..
    RD
    It was Fast Timmys boat they were trying to park next to..not ours
    I know Dave..... if it ever happens to us..I'm going to jail because I am gonna **** some shit up

Bre
    that said f u c k... I hate this **** s h i t

OGShocker
    Originally posted by Bre
    All I know is it's funny to watch newbies that have rental boats try to park their boats in slips and launch them It's quite entertaining to say the least...
    Now Bre, it is up to us to help those less talented, not to ridicule.

Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast