Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running 4 batteries

doogie
    When running 4 batteries, 2 for the engine and the other 2 for the stereo system, would you want the 2 from the system be connected to the alternator? Would this harm anything connecting them this way? What does everyone recommend? Thanks. Doogie

Phat Matt
    A battery switch.

hd&boatrider
    I run 5 in mine. One on switch 1 and 4 on switch 2. I usually just keep it on all continuously. I don't know if my alternator really puts out enough to charge all the batteries but I hook up a battery charger every night. When not in use I turn off the batteries. They seem to be holding up very well.

riverbound
    Run only one batt on number 1 and run the other 3 on batt 2 your4 boat will not need more than 1 good batt to start. More batts= more play time with out engine running.

Jetdriver
    Would you wire the batteries In series and then to the switch? ie. positive to positive.

SCUBA STEVE
    Dave aka Doogie, The way I did mine, which isnt the most popular way, is I have 2 batteries per channel on the perko switch. As you know I dont have a ton of wattage for amps, usually 2 batteries will last me all day. But if they dont I can switch it to the other 2 batteries. And when its time to start the boat, I just turn the perko switch to all, and run it on all until the next destination.
    Then charge all the batteries when the boat is off the water.
    If I happen to drain all the batteries when its time to start, thats when the jump box comes in, or jumper cables, which I havent had a need for yet. (knock on wood)
    See you in 2 weeks!

TrojanDan
    Originally posted by riverbound
    your boat will not need more than 1 good batt to start.
    Good suggestion. I finally did that with our system and was able to take out an extra starting battery. Make sure that the one starting battery has enough CCA to start the engine though. I went with the Optima Blue Top starting battery (dark grey case, not the light grey one) for the engine.

Phat Matt
    Originally posted by Jetdriver
    Would you wire the batteries In series and then to the switch? ie. positive to positive.
    yes

rivercrazy
    If I was running 4 batteries, I would run 3 together in parallel (negative terminal to negative terminal and positive terminal to positive terminal across all 3 batts) for the stereo. Then just have 1 battery reserved just for starting duty. The 3 batteries connected in parallel will have more stable voltage over a longer period of time. That will be easier on the amplifers and possibly not run them down as far making the batteries last longer (depending on how loud and long you play your system)

ROZ
    Originally posted by Jetdriver
    Would you wire the batteries In series and then to the switch? ie. positive to positive. That's parallel, and it's what you want to do.... + to + and - to - .....
    EDIT: Just like RC said

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast