Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any COMPETENT machine shops in/around Vegas or So Cal?

STV_Keith
    I'm trying to find a machine shop that can bore a block properly. We are looking for someone that can bore out the irregularities (bore runout) to .0001" and properly hone them to match to the same tolerances.
    We've tried it here in Vegas with dismal success (bore runout still over .0007", bore differences of .0011" from the smallest to the biggest).
    I'll DRIVE it to a guy that can REALLY do it.

Have you tried Heads By Rick. . . he moved their from FL a year or so ago to the Motorsports Free Trade Complex.
    Chris

BADBLOWN572
    The only really good machine shop that I know of is Dougans in Corona. I would talk to Ray and ask him if he can do it. If he can't, he will tell you. Their # is (909) 681-1961

superdave013
    Evan's Speed in El Monty.
    It's an old tired run down looking shop but Gean (dead on) Oly is the shit! Sorry I don't have their # but they have done some work for me and it turned out better then expected.
    Hey, have you ever heard of a shop out at the LV raceway called Faxtor X?

flat broke
    Engine Dynamics in Orange County might be another good choice. (714) 636-3280. They're used by a couple of well respected folks in So Cal.
    Chris

wsuwrhr
    Originally posted by STV_Keith
    I'm trying to find a machine shop that can bore a block properly. We are looking for someone that can bore out the irregularities (bore runout) to .0001" and properly hone them to match to the same tolerances.
    We've tried it here in Vegas with dismal success (bore runout still over .0007", bore differences of .0011" from the smallest to the biggest).
    I'll DRIVE it to a guy that can REALLY do it.
    Cast Iron, a 4-5 inch bore?
    Are you planning on hot boring/honing?
    Cryoing the block, or other parts of the engine?
    As a machinist I am scared at your tolerance, .0001?
    I would think .0005 is what is achieveable boring/honing. That is TIR, meaning it could be .00025 per side.
    Grinding would be needed at that level of tolerance. IMHO.
    Brian
    Just my worthless .02

Fiat48

Moneypitt
    You're dreaming if you think you can bore/hone, edm, or anything else to cast iron/ steel to hold a 10th over the length of the bore. You're hard pressed to hold a thou in a 4" bore and a 4" stroke.......one ten thousandth....No way. I've worked with pieces that were certified to 10 millionths....Hard material, (65-70 rockwell) and hard chromed, lapped in a temperature controlled 68 degrees.....each degree was a 3 1/2 mil change in size. To hold a 10th,(.0001) in cast iron/steel aint gonna happen. No way No where No how...............MP

wsuwrhr
    QUOTE]Originally posted by Moneypitt
    You're dreaming if you think you can bore/hone, edm, or anything else to cast iron/ steel to hold a 10th over the length of the bore. You're hard pressed to hold a thou in a 4" bore and a 4" stroke.......one ten thousandth....No way. I've worked with pieces that were certified to 10 millionths....Hard material, (65-70 rockwell) and hard chromed, lapped in a temperature controlled 68 degrees.....each degree was a 3 1/2 mil change in size. To hold a 10th,(.0001) in cast iron/steel aint gonna happen. No way No where No how...............MP [/QUOTE]
    GEEZ, haha.
    Moneypitt,
    I was tying to say it in a nice way.
    But I'm with you.
    Maybe I suck as a machinist. IMHO cast iron is way too "soft" to hold those kind of tolerances. I hate the shit. I would rather machine 50RC steel than iron or forgings.
    Brian

STV_Keith
    Thanks guys, we found a guy that can do it. In the motorcycling industry, we'd throw out a block that was more than +.0005.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast