Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BBC cranks but won't start

Jordy
    I was keeping it basic and simple. By fuel, it was basically simplified, it could have been air/fuel. Then again, air is one that is kind of a given and is usually there.

Hallett19
    just shoot some starting fluid in there, if it fires for a second, you have a fuel problem, it should not be that hard to figure this out.

Hotcrusader76
    Air-Fuel-Spark....anybody got an marshmellow sticks for this one
    BTW....no mention of fuel pressure yet. What is it? Also consider checking the ground wire to that electric pump.
    ~Ty

water in the gas has caused me a lot of aggravation this year.

lucky
    Originally posted by Fiat48
    If you pump the throttle and no gas squirts then either you have no gas in the bowls, the accelerator pump is shot (doubtful) or the needle check valve below the shooter (squirter) is stuck (probable).
    If you can pour a small amount of gas (and do this carefully and with ignition off) into the carbureator and the engine starts..then you have a fuel problem and can concentrate there.
    Always have a manned fire extenguisher standing by if going to pour gas in the carb. ok - i just got rid of my flat bottom and got a jet to restore - the mottor was froze - so i pulled plugs and sprayed w d- in there - next day broke the motta loose and stuck some fuel down the carbs - it back fired and spewed gas and fire all over the inside of the boat - i about shit my my pants - no extiguister - good thing a hose was next to me .. what an experience - fire extinguisgher is always next to me on start ups . with air cleaners on ...

Hallett19
    If there is no gas (or water) going into the carb, he has a blockage or a fuel pump problem somewhere. Are there any updates to this ? Water in the fuel will cause a stumble and backfire and rough run, I have had many problems with that this year too due to alot of water getting in my tanks a few seasons back.

Vintage Eliminator 21
    I took the carb off, turned it upside down and gas came out of the overflow? tubes. After talking to a friend that owns an auto repair show, his mechanice said to bring the carb in with samples of gas from each tank.
    Both jars had white fluid in them. So, I'm about to empty the tanks. Hopefully this will work.
    Thanks for all the replies. Will post progress later.

Lightning
    Do you have a water/fuel seperator - you may want to check that as well.

novaguy
    I have been following this thread because I am working on a friends boat and he has the same problem. Today, I had a chance to work on it and discovered that water was in the fuel tanks. He runs a fuel filter/water separator. I took the fuel pressure regulator apart and saw that it was completely rusted. I took the fuel bowls out and noticed some water setiment on them, not too bad though. My question is: How do you properly clean the carbs to get rid of the setiment? Is it something that could be done myself, or do I need to take it to someone for a complete rebuild/cleaning? There is just some white chalky substance on them, but like I said, not too bad. I just want to do it right for him. Also, what else could be done (aside from running a water separator) to avoid getting water to the tanks. This has been a major source of his problems, and I 'd like to help solve it. The fuel fills are located on top on each side of the boat. Will some silicone around the fuel fills help? I think this is the only way water could possibly be coming into the tanks.

Lightning
    Originally posted by novaguy
    I have been following this thread because I am working on a friends boat and he has the same problem. Today, I had a chance to work on it and discovered that water was in the fuel tanks. He runs a fuel filter/water separator. I took the fuel pressure regulator apart and saw that it was completely rusted. I took the fuel bowls out and noticed some water setiment on them, not too bad though. My question is: How do you properly clean the carbs to get rid of the setiment? Is it something that could be done myself, or do I need to take it to someone for a complete rebuild/cleaning? There is just some white chalky substance on them, but like I said, not too bad. I just want to do it right for him. Also, what else could be done (aside from running a water separator) to avoid getting water to the tanks. This has been a major source of his problems, and I 'd like to help solve it. The fuel fills are located on top on each side of the boat. Will some silicone around the fuel fills help? I think this is the only way water could possibly be coming into the tanks.
    He may have gotten some water in the tanks by filling up at a dock as well.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast