Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My 455 blew please help out

Moneypitt
    I've seen a couple of people here that were selling "running" olds motors. Granted "running" is a broad term. So I guess I will quit trying to encourage this boat back on the water the quick and easy way, and lend any help I can to the chevy make over. That said, what kind of olds parts do you have laying around? I'm looking for some nice headers for the hydro, as well as a mag, nice valve covers etc. My stuff is 36 years old and could use some spiffing up before I put it back in a freshly done boat. The internal stuff is fine, and I didn't build it, just bought the boat that way and drove it like I stole it. With 12% gears, and a 12-15 3 blade, the old boat went 78.5, (GPS) at red rock last year, turning 5300 rpm s...........PM me about any of the good stuff you won't be needing after the change. I'm leaving for Burley on Wed eve, so it may be a while before we could get together.........Moneypitt

GlastronGuy
    Originally posted by OLDSQUIRT
    The problem is that the OLDS engines lead the way at about a 20:1 margin over the combined total of the other 3. In the 3+ years I've been reading this jet forum and several others, I could count the total of Chevy and Ford failures on my fingers. I'd need a calculator to keep track of the Olds failures.
    Your idea of getting a running Olds and keeping the boat on the water is a good one, except that would be a difficult thing to find. Most guys make the change after they blow the Olds up.
    An alternative to building a Chevy would be the 460 Ford. Core engines are still plentiful and there are quite a few guys here running them quite successfully.
    Just for the record, I ran an Olds for 18 years with virtually no trouble. The short block is still alive and kicking in a buddy's boat. Could have moved that engine into the new project hull I bought 2 years ago, but went Chevy instead. I would never go back.
    How long did your Olds run?

Originally posted by GlastronGuy
    How long did your Olds run?

18 years and still going. I probably put more thought into it and took better care than most. The guy I bought it from blew up 3 motors in 2 years. Of course he thought you could run an Olds like it was a Chevy. You know, wide open for miles and miles and miles......

King Kuracz
    Originally posted by Moneypitt
    I've seen a couple of people here that were selling "running" olds motors. Granted "running" is a broad term. So I guess I will quit trying to encourage this boat back on the water the quick and easy way, and lend any help I can to the chevy make over. That said, what kind of olds parts do you have laying around? I'm looking for some nice headers for the hydro, as well as a mag, nice valve covers etc. My stuff is 36 years old and could use some spiffing up before I put it back in a freshly done boat. The internal stuff is fine, and I didn't build it, just bought the boat that way and drove it like I stole it. With 12% gears, and a 12-15 3 blade, the old boat went 78.5, (GPS) at red rock last year, turning 5300 rpm s...........PM me about any of the good stuff you won't be needing after the change. I'm leaving for Burley on Wed eve, so it may be a while before we could get together.........Moneypitt
    I won't argue the time factor and trying to get back on the water this season, I just don't know that I would buy someones used stuff unless it's a great deal. What I've seen is mostly overpriced and an unknown quantity. If he wants to save bucks for a BBC and still get some use this year, why not just pickup a used car engine? Most of them haven't spent their entire life living in the 4-5k RPM range. Out here I can pick up a decent running used 455 for $100-$150 and get it in the boat for no more than another $100. Are the prices out there that much higher that it's not at least a consideration?
    Sell off the unwanted Olds mounts and stuff on ebay while searching for deals on the BBC stuff in the off season. He can probably offset half the cost of the conversion parts.

Shark In The Pond
    Originally posted by Moneypitt
    They ALL go up in smoke. Ford ,Chevy Olds, mopar. As we all put these things closer and closer to the edge, they're gonna break. I'm not pro anything, or con anything as far as motor choices go, but you gotta dance with who brung ya. Thats why I said stay with the olds for now and build something, ford, chevy, mopar or even another olds, but change it in the winter. For now just get it back on the water, as quick and easy as possible. If you start the change over now, without any pre planing, you'll be down all summer and part of the winter...........MP
    I understand your point about finding a running Olds in order to get back on the water ASAP and keeping cost down ,but if he can't find another CHEAP and quick and has to build another I say chunk the olds and look into a Ford or Chevy ?

mrme
    I've been running an olds for years and yes they do blow up gone through 3 myself but it's a learning process. First time sucked all the oil from the pan, so I taped the heads and ran lines back down and got a bigger pan. The new bullet is built to Mondello specs and as of yet no issues. BUT I had to invest the money to make it as bullet proff as possible. And it's no hot rod 500 hp never over 5000 rpm. Maybe run 60mph for me thats fast enough. It realy all depends on how fast you wanna go. Like the saying goes If they go they blow.

victorfb
    there was a guy selling a complete olds motor a short time ago on here. look back. you may find that he still has it. he just did the change over but said the olds was still good. ive run my olds 455 in the tahiti for 8 seasons and i didnt allways baby it, and its still going strong. the 454 or 460 change is allways a great idea, but like many have said, look at the cost and time to do so. id say get a 455 and be back on the water quikly. off season you can make a decision and take your time.

BigBoyToys
    Go with the chevy. DIfferent motor mounts and a different driveshaft will get ya going reliably BTW, Did I mention that I have a spare 454 (Actually 476ci) for sale?

napabob
    Originally posted by JROCK
    THanks for the info and the opinions, both are very much appeciated. I would love to get my boat back into the water this year, but I just dont see it happening unless I spend some serious cash, which I am considering at this point. I think either way I am going to be converting over to a BBC. All of the mechanics I have talked to have suggested this, and while I know some people think OLDS motors are no good due to ignorance, based on my ignorance I am not one to second guess someone whos business it is to fix these things on a daily basis.
    So if I wanted to spend some money and get a new/rebuilt BBC put in, does anyboday have a kick ass shop they know of in either the bullghead, Havasu, oragne county, or riverside county they would reccomend? Someone specializing in boat engines obviously......
    Try this site:
    http://www.harmanmarine.com/newsite/pp/index.html
    They built my 454 in '78 and it replaced the original Olds 455 when it seized.

Hallett19
    Anything setup right will run for a very long time. If you have the money and know what parts to get, keep the olds so you dont need to change motor mounts and exhaust and all. If you want to change that stuff around and go pick up a a running BBC, go do that, you wont have to do as much to make it dependable, but you will have to make all the appropriate changes. Mondello (I think that is the name) has had alot of luck fixing the oiling problems on the olds and other various problems you run into using it as a jet boat motor. Talk to them, do the mods, get it running and hit the water. Everyone tells me BBF's arent as good as BBC's but my BBF runs awesome and I rarely have problems with it, the secondary in the carb overflows sometimes due to a needle and seat, other than that, its good times.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast