Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A sports car???

Stupid Fast
    I have been driveing trucks for just about my entire driving life. I have owned 1 car and 6 different trucks since then. I think I am about due for a little sports car. Here is the catch. It has to have a back seet that will fit a 3 soon to be 4 year old in a booster seat. That is the wifes only demand.
    I have looked at a few older Mitzubishi 3000 GT VR4's/ Dodge Stealth . They seem the most appealing to me. I dont want a mustang or a Camaro. Seems like every tom dick and harry has one. Just too common.
    What would you all sugest? I will probably do some mods to it but not right away. My budget is somewhere between $10K and $15K........and of course leaning to the lower.
    Thanks for any sugestions.
    EMC

Danhercules
    3ed Gen Mazda RX-7. They haul and corner like a dream. Go drive one. Then get back to me if you wanna get one. There is a lot to know.

Stupid Fast
    But I thought the turbo version did not have a back seat.....am I wrong? What years does this cover....I dont know a whole lot about cars.....

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
    a true 'sports car' will not have a backseat. sounds like you are in the market for a peppy economy car
    Omega

Stupid Fast
    Originally posted by OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
    a true 'sports car' will not have a backseat. sounds like you are in the market for a peppy economy car
    Omega
    What I really want is a two seater......but after a long discussion with my wife......It is a necesity.....Plus my daughter is already a speed freak like me.....We test drove a couple of VR4's and she was absolutly thrilled......

leibniz
    Don't discount the 1995 Mustang GT.
    As it turns out, I have one for sale. Details here (http://www.rcgs.ca/Mustang/)
    Look at the best deal; the best bang for the buck. This is it.
    Mustangs are great. Here's the thing: as soon as you get your {insert favorite sports car description here}, you'll begin to see them all over the road. You don't notice them until you actually have one.

Danhercules
    Originally posted by Stupid Fast
    But I thought the turbo version did not have a back seat.....am I wrong? What years does this cover....I dont know a whole lot about cars.....
    93 and up. I think they quit importing them in 97.
    I am not to sure about the back seat deal. I though all of them had back seats. Not sure though.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
    Originally posted by Danhercules
    93 and up. I think they quit importing them in 97.
    I am not to sure about the back seat deal. I though all of them had back seats. Not sure though.
    my friends dad has a 94 twin turbo model. It is a 2 seater and extremely fast and nimble. damn thing handles like a go kart. he has upgraded the turbos and installed and intercooler and exhaust. It puts over 300 hp to the rear tires, this all out of 1.3L engine. it is very small inside and a bitch to work on. neat little cars though.
    Omega

eliminatedsprinter
    Sounds like you need a good sports coupe. If you want a back seat for a kid, reliabiliity, great handling, and overall roadworthiness nothing beats an Acura Integra, for bang for the buck. Just look at how they dominated their class in SCCA racing. The downside to them is that they have only avg speed for a sports coupe and they are not a well kept secret, so they are as common as rats.
    If you want real speed and something a little more exotic , while still reliable, I'd seriously look at the last of the Supras. Those turbo Supras hauled butt and were a much better built sports coupe than the others that I've seen mentioned here, although the Rx 7 deserves a look as well...

Hallett19
    I have driven the Supra Turbo, the Z Turbo, the VR4 and the RX7, hard, and its all about the 1993+ Toyota Supra Turbo, 6 spd, they are HOT !!! you might be able to find one on the high side of your budget but you will be hard pressed to find one that is not in good shape, if you can even find one at all. A guy I went to high school with parents bought him a brand spankin new one on his 17th b day, they had it sent to TRD and they did a down pipe, cat back, freed up the intake, turbo timer, chip and some random guages...... 12.3 quarter mile on street tires. Baseline runs off the showroom floor were in the low 13's and they respond very very well to mods. RX-7 are great and very nimble (I dont remember it having a back seat though), the Z turbo is a great car as well and you can get it in a 2+2, the VR4 feels very heavy and is really heavy, it has all wheel drive but has the active aero package which is cool but feels very heavy, but the Supra is where its at. A friend of mine even has a 1990 Supra with about 3k in the motor, it has a HUGE KKK turbo in it and it lags up to about 3500rpm and it fells like an afterburner after that, quite scary really, it runs in the low 12's but is ugly as hell. Good luck, I wish I was in your position. Sorry, I keep adding to this but my dad had an 89 Porsche 911 Turbo, 4 spd trans, I would put that car in the "scary fast" category and you might be able to pick one up for closer to 20, but they have a back seat !!! Just watch the lift throttle oversteer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast