Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Noise Laws

floatnturd
    I am just finishing my rebuild, so i have not been to the river in 2yr. I need some info on the noise laws, should I be worried about it or is it all hype that I read? I have an 18ft jet with a blown 496, I run over trans. water inject. Should I convert to tru trans? or just use baffles. I like to go to havasu, but that was 2 years ago, and I have been told thats not the place for my size boat anymore. So I need some real stories about the laws and police and some new spots to go. Good to be back.....

LVjetboy
    I usually jet boat Mead, "The River", Havasu, Mohave, and Powell. A few lakes in CA if I have to. Mostly Nevada, then Arizona and a bit of Utah... state noise laws vary. So far I've been checked once by "the law" for mufflers in the parking lot at Mead. I had them, they relented.
    But trust me, I choose to avoid "the law" if at all possible. If not then appease with the appearance of complying, in other words some sort of muffler. And all safey equipment aboard. I'm sure they could nail me with a db test. Hell, they could nail me with any other follow-up test they choose. After all, insurance companies have already labeled my jet as a reckless endangerment to society. Do not insure! That proves I'm a threat no matter what.
    So I feel blessed to even have the opportunity to float this near pirate ship on any of our hallowed, well-regulated and over-restricted water ways as I have floated them safely for more than 30 years.
    The restriction of performance mufflers is a small price to pay to avoid stupid laws and even stupider johnny law. Just stay a moving target. Boat weekdays. Avoid trouble spots.
    jer

The Laws (http://www.cpperformance.com/TechTip...noise_laws.htm)
    I think he's looking for the practical real world deal as opposed
    to the written (mostly unenforced) law Jim.
    Arizona shows up as 86 db, but the truth is I've been running
    open headers on mine for 10 years or so. I have operated on
    almost every navigable waterway in the state (save for Powell).
    I've only been stopped for noise one time and it turned out
    the officer (Maricopa County Sheriff) just wanted a closer look
    a the boat (no ticket). He asked me why it didn't steam at idle
    and I explained it to him, probably in more detail than he cared
    to hear. We shot the stuff for a few he looked the boat over
    and let me go.
    So, although the law is in place I think you'll find that most
    places don't enforce it. I have heard that the docks by the
    Nautical (Havasu) won't let you in if you have open headers (unsubstantiated).

spudsgarage
    I think he's looking for the practical real world deal as opposed to the written (mostly unenforced) law Jim.
    Arizona shows up as 86 db, but the truth is I've been running open headers on mine for 10 years or so. I have operated on almost every navigable waterway in the state (save for Powell). I've only been stopped for noise one time and it turned out the officer (Maricopa County Sheriff) just wanted a closer look a the boat (no ticket). He asked me why it didn't steam at idle and I explained it to him, probably in more detail than he cared to hear. We shot the stuff for a few he looked the boat over and let me go.
    So, although the law is in place I think you'll find that most places don't enforce it. I have heard that the docks by the Nautical (Havasu) won't let you in if you have open headers (unsubstantiated).
    I dunked my jet in @ the Marina Docks near the Nautical just this past weekend. When I entered, I was asked if I had been tested, I said tested for what, The answer was noise. I was told they would meet me @ the ramp, while I was waiting, they tested another guy, he failed and had to pull her out. I was next, I knew I would be ok with their 86db limit, in fact, I tested @ 69db. The test is done @ idle while in the water. Bottom line, they do test @ the Marina but not sure if they turn you away @ the gate with open Headers. http://www.hotautoweb.com/images26/IMG_4989.jpg

h2oboy
    I think if you have a set of muffs with you just incase you need to slap them on you should be ok.... I know I picked up a pair for mine and carry them under the seat incase I have to slap them on... I refuse to cut holes in my transom....
    Just be aware that there are laws trying to stop us, but if you are ready to counter act those laws then you should be ok... Mufflers are a cheep insurance that you will be able to go down the ramp, instead of turning back home...

diggler
    Here's a picture of mine with slip on mufflers on the headers. The only problem with them is:
    1. They'll never get me within the decibal limit. However, the police leave me alone as it's obvious I made an effort.
    2. The high vibration, high heat, made it a bear to keep them bolted on. Nylocks were out of the question. I ended up using locking bolts from ARP that are "oval" shaped bolts and lock on with a simple flat washer.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...42DSC00498.JPG

SHIFTY
    I BELEIVE THERE HAS TO BE A RADIUS OF "X" AMOUNT OF FLAT LAND (NO BUILDINGS, HOUSES, MOUNTAINS, CANYONS, ETC) FOR THERE TO BE A PROPER DECIBEL READING. I'm FAIRLY CERTAIN MOST MARINAS DON't MEET THESE REQUIREMENTS...

Racer277
    I BELEIVE THERE HAS TO BE A RADIUS OF "X" AMOUNT OF FLAT LAND (NO BUILDINGS, HOUSES, MOUNTAINS, CANYONS, ETC) FOR THERE TO BE A PROPER DECIBEL READING. I'm FAIRLY CERTAIN MOST MARINAS DON't MEET THESE REQUIREMENTS...
    By law that's correct.
    However, at the LHMarina, they'll still turn you away based on their test.
    From what I've seen at the Nautical, they'll give you dirty looks, but you're already launched by then...
    Site Six, no one around, but the cops are on the lake once you've launched...

SHIFTY
    Is Lh Marina Privately Owned?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast