Thread: avgas?

Mike Schmidt
    Has anyone ever used avgas in there outboard? if so, what were your results?

sam pioske
    Av gas works great 'no smoke' consistent , Guys at lake Havazoo use it always. sold in the regular gas stations.

Mike Schmidt
    THX 4 the imput. Iplan to use it my twin 2.5 drag motor boat.

HavasuDreamin'
    Make sure to run a good synthetic oil at 32:1 ratio (4 oz per gallon). I like Klotz KL-333, but have heard good things about Amsoil as well.
    HD

VIKING
    I have had GREAT results with Amsoil 100:1. Sled motors and ATV's at 9000 RPM. No lube problems but some detination problem.
    To close to the edge But what the heck, I have to go fast

TIMEBOMB
    I've ran avgas in my 2.4l merc. After looking into the make up of avgas I have decided that it is not a good idea. Yea its a good way to keep smoke down, but avgas is made so that it breaks the oil down in a aviation use. You don't want to foul out plugs at altitude. It washes down the cylinder of all the oil at the end of the day, so the next time you fire up it is really not lubed well.
    It also has an anti ice additive that makes it real dry, if you spill it you'll see how fast it evaporates. It also has different isotopes in the formula to make it maintain the same octane level and not breakdown after time. Also remember it is made to work at altitude. After several rebuilds and cylinder sleeves I will stick to 100 octane race fuel like vp of sunaco. Yea it cost more, but so does a rebuild.
    Just my 2 cents. Gary

eliminatedsprinter
    Hmmm. I wonder if a little mixed into pump 91 once and a while might not help keep things clean or help if you go to a lake that is a little higher alt.....What do you think???

stoker2001
    i have heard that too,that you will wear your motor out prematurely.i have ran it in a drag motor with 182#s compression for years and never noticed more wear.i allways use 100% synthetic at 30 to 1 tho.i know 220#s compression requires 105 motor octane and gives it a little more crispy feeling

vishus
    100LL AVGAS does NOT contain DEICING agents. We have been running it in our OBs for the past 20yrs without issue. Just run GOOD synthetic at 32:1 (you are spinning your OB 8000-9000rpm ? ) and it will live well at 180# compression...
    sid

TIMEBOMB
    Ok, so I meant anti-icing agents. Here is the break down. Do the research for yourself. Gary
    http://www.phillips66aviation.com/co...erv/av_gas.asp