Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: my kid got a virus on his pc

mike37
    his internet explorer keeps poping up new windows and you cant stop it he cant use the internet becous of this
    can any one help with this

MJ19
    Go to Norton's web site and look up the virus name and solution...good luck...sometimes those virus' are a major pain in the butt!

Lake Pirate
    If it's the same virus I got awhile back he is never going to recover from it. Do dozens of windows (all say "cannot find server") pop up so multitudinous the computer can't keep up? I had that and ended up erasing my harddrive, reformatting and starting all over. (Including reinstalling software.) The computer still doesn't work the same. I took it to a shop and they couldn't find the virus although they think it came in via email. Good luck. For now...shut the computer down and do not connect to the internet if you have to use it.

NorCal Gameshow
    mike, until you get some real advice, try this... if you don't already have adaware download it to your pc then put it on a disc and load it on your kids pc ...it might catch a registry change that's messing with your internet settings...

Dr. Eagle
    go to
    ...Housecall (http://housecall.trendmicro.com/) it will scan the computer online

sandblasted
    Man,we just went thru this...I update my norton antivirus every week.....it scans and doesn't find any virus but when I went to the internet we would get dozens of pop ups that would not close...I would usually have to reboot the pc to get it to work.
    A friend had the same problem and had us download "Spybot"..it found 170 files infected with adware etc....The worst one is something called "adgoblin"...not really sure if I got rid of it but my internet connection is alot better than it was 2 weeks ago...only get a few pop ups now...

Dr. Eagle
    Originally posted by ShockwaveBob
    Some virus and spyware disable the ability to be fixed using Housecall.
    That's possible, I haven't had a problem with any viruses or spyware of any kind since I bought PC Cillin 2004. Nothing has managed to penetrate.
    It's worth a try.

MJ19
    Save yourself the headache and go to www.dell.com and order a new computer hee, hee...I'm sure your kid will love you for it
    Best of luck with your buggy computer...that really lags when it happens!

Lake Pirate
    All I'm saying is, if it's the same virus I had, McAfee nor Norton caught it. Let a pro help you. I wish I had waited instead of trying to overcome it myself. The more you try...the worse it get's.

Dr. Eagle
    Originally posted by ShockwaveBob
    Virus and spyware are not the same thing. Many times, antivirus software won't even sniff spyware. Spyware is more typical nowadays. It's easier to deliver, harder to detect and, for the most part, it's not "illegal" to deliver.
    The virus program I have has a firewall that detects suspicious contact with the computer and advises the user to stop alll incoming internet traffic. It has only tripped about 10 times total since I have been using it. I think it works pretty well, but the only way to know for sure with spyware is to get a spyware detector...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast