Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cottonwood Cove??

Mod VP
    What's the launch ramp like at Cottonwood cove?
    I have a 31 ft motorhome,it's not the easiest launching vehicle
    Also is that a good place to launch with a small 19 foot boat,as far as a smooth part of the lake? I'll be staying at Needles 6-25 through 7-4,so a weekday trip is what I'm planning on.
    Thanks...

hd&boatrider
    Originally posted by Mod VP
    What's the launch ramp like at Cottonwood cove?
    I have a 31 ft motorhome,it's not the easiest launching vehicle
    Also is that a good place to launch with a small 19 foot boat,as far as a smooth part of the lake? I'll be staying at Needles 6-25 through 7-4,so a weekday trip is what I'm planning on.
    Thanks...
    The ramp is good and you will be OK with the motorhome. You just need to head up lake from there. Be careful as the wind can eat you alive out there if it kicks up. Especially if you head down into the basin area.
    Needles...launch from the Needles Marina just on the CA side of the bridge before going into AZ.

dicudmore
    HD knows that lake better than the next guy, and I agree with him. Cottonwood area and north you'll have a great time

Danhercules
    I am not trying to change your mind by any means, but why go to Cottonwood on a weekday. Katherins should be nice and empty during the week.
    Just sayin, if you avoiding crouds, ya dont have to do it, if some other reason, I will put my foot in my mouth.

hd&boatrider
    Originally posted by Danhercules
    I am not trying to change your mind by any means, but why go to Cottonwood on a weekday. Katherins should be nice and empty during the week.
    Just sayin, if you avoiding crouds, ya dont have to do it, if some other reason, I will put my foot in my mouth.
    Now that school is out the crowds are a cunmin' Will be far less crowds at Cottonwood. Katherines will NOT be empty until after Labor Day or when the kids get back in school. Yes, during the week is less crowded than the weekend but it will still be crowded.

Danhercules
    Ok, cool. I did not think of that.

Mod VP
    Originally posted by Danhercules
    I've been to Katherines once,and by the time we decided to go up the lake (about 1 or 2:00 the 2-3 foot swells started,we took one over the bow and said we're out of here.Plus waiting in line that long to launch and retrieve was not my idea of relaxation...

We want to see the good part of the lake...
    Anyone else going to be there then ?

hd&boatrider
    Originally posted by Mod VP
    I've been to Katherines once,and by the time we decided to go up the lake (about 1 or 2:00 the 2-3 foot swells started,we took one over the bow and said we're out of here.Plus waiting in line that long to launch and retrieve was not my idea of relaxation...

We want to see the good part of the lake...
    Anyone else going to be there then ?
    If you had 2-3 foot swells outside of K I can guarantee you that the basin area was 4-5 foot sweels. Now if you go far enough up from Cottonwood you will be good to go, usually. However right outside of CW it can be pretty bad and can take you down...especially in a 19 footer.

Mod VP
    Originally posted by hd&boatrider
    If you had 2-3 foot swells outside of K I can guarantee you that the basin area was 4-5 foot sweels. Now if you go far enough up from Cottonwood you will be good to go, usually. However right outside of CW it can be pretty bad and can take you down...especially in a 19 footer.
    Where would you suggest to launch then,is it Willow,and how far is it from Needles Marina?I've only been to Katherines that one time... I really don't want a bad 2nd experience.Or I may get pissed and buy a bigger boat while I'm out there... :wink:
    Thanks

dicudmore
    go ahead and go out of Cottonwood you'll have a great trip...
    I'd stay north in a 19 unless you go out early.
    The basin (south of cottonwood) can get pretty big but can also be the smoothest water you'll ever see in your life. Can change that quick too
    If you drive to Willow you will spend all day driving. To get there you basically have to drive to the Hoover dam....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast