Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gear change vs. prop change

nodigg
    So help me out. What are the advantages, if any, of a gear change vs. a prop size increase. If running say a 30 bravo 4 blade and bumping the rev limiter hard with stock Bravo one gearing, would I benefit best from a gear change or a prop increase?? Or is it irrelevant? What is the difference between going to a 1:36 vs. increasing to a 32 prop for instance?

Infomaniac
    Changing gears keeps you in the more common less expensive prop pitches most of the time.
    Just my opinion.

nodigg
    Any mathmeticians out there with a formula handy for the gear/vs. prop change?

Going to a 1.36 from a 1.50 really loads the drive and the engine. I would only recommend it if you have a light boat and serious power. Kinda like taking off in 3rd gear with a 1.36. Go props.
    Chris

superdave013
    threads like this make me really happy to be a v drive guy.
    One gear swap comming up. Be done in under 15 min.

nodigg
    Originally posted by cstraub69
    Going to a 1.36 from a 1.50 really loads the drive and the engine. I would only recommend it if you have a light boat and serious power. Kinda like taking off in 3rd gear with a 1.36. Go props.
    Chris
    Makes sense but would it not be the same if a larger prop is used??

nodigg
    Originally posted by superdave013
    threads like this make me really happy to be a v drive guy.
    One gear swap comming up. Be done in under 15 min.
    ???

Turbojack
    If you are running a 30 pitch prop now just go up in pitch. The gear change is equal to about 3" of pitch. I would not change gears unless you have to go to a 34 or bigger. Plus change props is cheaper than changing gears.

DogHouse
    Come on Rick, you know that deckboat only does 35! What are you talking about, prop/gear change...
    I'd say try a new prop. That way if you like it you can sell me your 30 for a really good price!
    I would try to borrow a prop first and see how it works, then decide. If it still comes on plane easily, will cruise slow without too much slip, and gives you the top end bump you're looking for, then you're good to go. That way you also end up with a spare prop. Bob will sell Bravo four blades to his customers for about 400 bucks. If you find that you are getting too much slip at low speed with the big prop, then you could consider the gear change for more $$$.
    -brian

celeb1
    Most boats tend to have a little better top end with a larger pitch prop but I guess it would mostly depend on the power band on your motor. I dropped down my gear ration and went with a smaller prop and lost about 2 MPH.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast