Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: San Luis Reservoir

Mike67rs
    My wife's family reunion is at San Luis Reservoir this August. We will be there for 3 days, coming from So. Cal. Can any locals tell me if it is worth towing my boat 400 miles for this lake? I found info on the state's website, but I am looking for info from someone with personal knowledge. Thanks, Mike

QuickJet
    VERY windy!!! Huge lake with big open area. Every time I head down 152 I see nothing but white caps on that lake.

JetBoatRich
    I pass the lake twice a week, off the 152. Big Lake, I have seen very few boats out there. Water has looked rough a few times.
    Looks like it could be fun with all the open water.

Robbie Racer
    In my opinion, it wouldn't be worth the tow. It's a boring windy lake that can get pretty rough as stated earlier when the wind picks up. I'm only 30 miles from it and I still only go there for quick test and tune stuff. I drove by it today and noticed that the water level is dropping fast. There will be some shallow spots to watch out for from this point until the winter rains fill it back up. :eek!:

Mike67rs
    Thanks for the info. I can deal with the wind, but not the shallow areas. I figured boring would be the case, but the family would enjoy the ride.

Dave C
    If you come all the way up with your boat you would need to travel for a while northbound on I5 and get on the delta around Manteca or Stockton.

david_396
    It's a small lake but has a nice sandy beach area for the kids and great shady picnic areas under the tall trees. Fun, small, although windy most of the time, lake.
    The larger San Luis Dam on the other side of highway 152, is the San luis Resivoir which is a large dam. Great stripper fishing 10 + lbs. This lake gets windier then the lower lake although it's alot larger.

1Bahnerjet
    You'll do ok with the Boat in your Signature...
    Nor-Cal has so many better Lakes...
    with a Low Profile Boat better to stay on O'neills Forebay...
    hey Dave do you have a Big enough Boat yet...
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...04daytona1.jpg

sandblasted
    The big lake is usually blown out....The forebay is about as big as Buena Vista, with picnic facilities etc.....I have relatives nearby in Los banos and have been thinking about taking my boat up there for a weekend but it's a 21 jet so i'll stay on the forebay if I go...

Just Tool'n
    I have always heard there was a 5MPH speed limit on San Luis Resavoir. Being that I use to have to drive past it at least 4 times everymonth on the way to our old office in San Jose, I would not venture to take my boat out there.
    Every few years the local media does a story about someone drowning out there due to winds capsizing a fishing boat.
    When there is a marine push coming in from the ocean to cool off the valley, watch out, thats when it gets really windy.
    One morning going over pacheco pass, really windy, it caught a side gust of wind, took my old van, a 1990 chevy 1/2 ton, & made it immediatly change lanes, not fun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast