Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Panther Jet

Cas
    nope, it would probably twist and break the shaft so you'd go nowhere
    and thanks BK but I'm still learning about them myself. I just think I have more realistic expectations on them than a lot of people. Come to think of it, I have higher expectations than a lot of others too

Squirtin Thunder
    OK !!!

Dan Lorenze
    I'm gettin the hint that the Berkeley is the way to go..

Cas
    Originally posted by Dan Lorenze
    I'm gettin the hint that the Berkeley is the way to go..
    all depends on what you want to use the boat for. Panthers are a good pump and come with a lot of things the others don't ie: ride plate, S/S impeller, and they are already set back....people are paying lots of $$$ for those extras. One of the biggest pluses though, is the fact that the main bearings are constantly submerged in 90w oil. Very rarely will they go bad unlike the others.
    Personally, I'd much rather have a Panther for the ease of use. I broke in 2 different motors hooked up to the pump. That's 45 minutes of running the pump out of the water at 2000+ rpms.....no way can you do that with a Berk. Unless you want to burn out the packing or the seal. Manuevering around the docks is much easier and I like how the Panther pulls from a dead stop, excellent for pulling a skier up.
    My Panther was well within factory tolerances after 23 years of use. When I pulled it apart, the seals were still good, all the bearings were great and the impeller was darn near perfect, the blades were just a bit dull. From my experiences and what I've read on the boards, you're not going to get that kind of longevity out of most of the others.
    Like I said, it's all a matter of what you want to use a boat for.

calperf19
    Like I said before Cas knows these pumps!!! I just said if your going to put big power to them Don't Do It!!!!!!
    Later BK

quickdrawmagra
    get rid of the panther

lilrick
    My boat originally came with a panther and i enjoyed it for 2 seasons trouble free. Last winter i pulled it out and threw in a berk and picked up 15 mph.....yeeehaw!

Cas
    Originally posted by lilrick
    My boat originally came with a panther and i enjoyed it for 2 seasons trouble free. Last winter i pulled it out and threw in a berk and picked up 15 mph.....yeeehaw!
    what was your rpm and speed with the Panther?
    what was your rpm and speed with the Berk?
    which impeller did you have in the Berk?
    do you have a diverter of any kind on the Berk?

1Bahnerjet
    Originally posted by lilrick
    that must have been alot of work...
    those 2 pumps are installed very Differently...
    but for 15mph I guess worth it.

calperf19
    For 15 mph whats a little glass work!!!! It's not that you spent 4000.00 dollars You just spent 400 hours working on it!!! I had my boat upside down for two years and it to this day the hardest fab that I have done but I would'nt do it any different than I did it!!! Congrats on your Gain!!!!
    Later BK

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast