Thread: counter balance

AmericanThunder1
    Bought a new flexplate today. It looked the same except the new one has a counter balance on it. Do I need to grind that off or does it matter??

Heatseeker
    It matters.
    What engine do you have.

AmericanThunder1
    BBF 460

JETBOY03
    sounds to me like you bought the one for an external balanced engine and you need an internal balanced one.

AmericanThunder1
    So can I just grind it off??

calperf19
    Yes!
    Why did it have one in the firstplace though? usually bbf don't have them?
    Later BK

AmericanThunder1
    I was in a hurry and went to oreillys to match it up and they had a match except for the counter balance weight. So I took it. It was only 50 bucks it might last like 50 bucks but I will put a good one in when I am in less hurry if it doesnt work out. I did paint it though so that should help.

Squirtin Thunder
    The early BBFs did not have the counter wieght. But believe it or not the one with out costs more. Flippin crazy !!! If you can spring for the SFI one it is much better and is better balanced.
    Good Luck
    Jim

AmericanThunder1
    Thanks as always and I am going to put it on today and see what happens. After I grind the weight off.

AmericanThunder1
    Got it done!! Works great for now. Had a few problems with the moter mounts when I put the engine back in. It seems I got a wood rot problem where the mounts bolt into the stringers. I did a quick fix for now and put plateing on the inside and outside of the stringers but looks like I got my hands full this fall if I make till then. I will have to get some ideas from you guys for this one I am no body working guy. Going to put it on the river tomarrow see how she does.