Thread: Need some advice... oh this should be good

JustMVG
    I want to know what bolt ons, intakes and carbs would be the best for me and my 21' Ultra with the Marine Power 454 Mag, money is there but not gobs of it. i have an MSD Box and the MSD distributor so i'd like to get a nice dual plane manifold and cam setup so that i can take advantage of the MSD but my biggest porblem is going with the 850 holley or the 750 i have the dreaded Qjet that came with the motor and its seen better days, so there ya go, let me have it guys, suggest away. Oh yeah did i mention that i have a jet that has been gone through by the MPD guys, a diverter and an itch to get on the water, probably more info then you all need , but what are you going to do sue me??!!
    Mike VG

CrazyHippy
    I'm a big fan of all the intakes that BDS makes
    BJH

Aluminum Squirt
    Many people will disagree but that Qjet can be made to run quite nicely if you are not going with huge horsepower and you have somebody that knows how to set it up/rebuild it-Aluminum Squirt

Hotcrusader76
    It's been my experience that a good Edelbrock Dual plane intake and a Holley 750 Vacuum secondary 3310-1 carburetor work wonders for your set-up. Not to mention the affordability of the two. If you're after performance than consider stepping up to a custom built 750 vacuum secondary or a mechanical secondary (aka: double pumper).
    The 4779 Holley 750cfm DP or the HP650 would be all you need for your application in raw form. Otherwise with a simple cam change you could step up into a HP750 or Hybrid 950 depending on some other unknown variables.
    Good luck and feel free to call if you need any guidance.
    ~Ty

Hotcrusader76
    Originally posted by Aluminum Squirt
    Many people will disagree but that Qjet can be made to run quite nicely if you are not going with huge horsepower and you have somebody that knows how to set it up/rebuild it-Aluminum Squirt
    Oh yeah...I am a Q-Jet god BTW...and I love'm!

Jake W
    Basic hop up
    Stealth Manifold
    Comp cam and lifters springs and push rods(lift and duration depends)
    Lightning headers,CMI,ect water jacketed headers
    And nothing but a Holley DP mecanical secondaries 750 to 850
    And MSD (you all ready have that)
    Does your MPD pump have a ride plate and shoe,droop?
    Jake

JustMVG
    I have the ride plate and shoe, i have a droop but have not tried it yet, i do have the place diverter and the "wedge" that makes for a bigger roost, came with the boat, all MPD did was go thru the jet and replace a few things.

Cas
    a Bigs built 750 DP on top of a Edelbrock Air Gap, worked great on my 454 in a 21' Tahiti. Gas mileage was good and the power was excellent, even with log exhaust I got about 300 more rpms (4400 to 4700 rpms)

Shark In The Pond
    Originally posted by Jake W
    Basic hop up
    Stealth Manifold
    Comp cam and lifters springs and push rods(lift and duration depends)
    Lightning headers,CMI,ect water jacketed headers
    And nothing but a Holley DP mecanical secondaries 750 to 850
    And MSD (you all ready have that)
    Does your MPD pump have a ride plate and shoe,droop?
    Jake

Add some roller rockers and your done .