Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dial Indicator

Taylorman
    Can someone recommend an inexpensive line of tools for engine building. Im looking right now for the correct dial indicator to measure the distance pistons are in the hole. I was told that harbor freight has such a tool but im not sure the correct one to use.

lucky
    why buy cheap stuff , Its your engine ? If your doing it your self and you enjoy it - BUY QUALITY AMERICAN/GERMAN

Taylorman
    Because i will probably use it once every three years.

lucky
    ahh , but you will aways have it

Taylorman
    Your right, but i can't see spending a bunch of money on a tool that i will rarely use. I rather spend it on tool i use alot.

tbanzer
    Harbour freight has some cheap tools. Back when I was a machinist I would buy only Starett and Brown and Sharp $$$. After changing jobs most of the other workers used only import stuff costing 1/3 the cost. Never seen any real difference in accuracy. When you drop a $20 indicator your not as upset as dropping a $75 indicator.

Taylorman
    Harbour freight has some cheap tools. Back when I was a machinist I would buy only Starett and Brown and Sharp $$$. After changing jobs most of the other workers used only import stuff costing 1/3 the cost. Never seen any real difference in accuracy. When you drop a $20 indicator your not as upset as dropping a $75 indicator.
    Can you direct me to the correct tool for this job.

502 JET
    Can you direct me to the correct tool for this job.
    Its called a magnetic deck bridge EBAYitem#8041069479.Check out the sellers store after you look up the auction number.You can find some deals on used tools at fleamarkets and swapmeets.I use Starret and Central tools.Cheap or expensive if you drop it it usually breaks. 502 JET

502 JET
    Power house has a more reasonable price than the one on ebay.http://www.powerandperformancenews.c...ory_Code=BLOCK

TJS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast