Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jet Drive vs. Props

dekmaster
    Hi,
    I have a 1973 Roger's jet, and I was asked a question recently. What are the cons and pros of jet boats as compared to prop boats. i.e. v-drive, i/o
    thanks
    Dennis

Jrocket
    Originally posted by dekmaster
    Hi,
    I have a 1973 Roger's jet, and I was asked a question recently. What are the cons and pros of jet boats as compared to prop boats. i.e. v-drive, i/o
    thanks
    Dennis
    Thats a never ending debate.Its all in who you ask.Can be worse than the Ford versus Chevy debate in here.

fourspeednup
    OK what the hell, I'll bite
    Jets are less efficient than a prop so that's a big crap in the pants but you can boat in shallower water without fear of damage to underwater running gear(ie. prop, rudder-vdrive, prop shafts, etc.)
    It's tough to get hurt if you brush up against a jet pump whereas you can cut yourself up pretty bad in a prop boat(just ask scream )
    Lastly, jets are generally cheaper to buy and maintain than a comparable v-drive/prop boat

CrdStang
    According to my Berkeley Jet Drive manual, similar boats with similar engines, a jet and a prop will have the same top speed, but the jet will out-accellerate the prop. I believe this is wishful thinking/marketing.
    Suffice to say this much;
    A jet provides almost 100% thrust from a dead stop, where as a prop boat has to get moving to get 100% thrust. Can you say "Holeshot"?
    And manuverability..a jet drive can make a boat turn faster than any sane person would want to change directions.
    A prop will snag any rope that gets near it and wind it up..never a good thing. While it's possible to suck a line up the intake of a jet, it's far, far less likely.

BigBoyToys
    Originally posted by CrdStang
    According to my Berkeley Jet Drive manual, similar boats with similar engines, a jet and a prop will have the same top speed, but the jet will out-accellerate the prop. I believe this is wishful thinking/marketing.
    You got that right...wishful thinking indeed. TOp Speed on comparable engines will ALWAYS go to a V-Drive that is setup with a 2 blade prop and the proper gears.. However, ET wise, maybe in the 1/8 mile they will be comparable, but it is at this point where the V-Drive has pretty much caught the Jet and is passing the Jet.
    Comparable engines, properly setup Jet vs. Properly setup V-Drive = V-Drive in the 1/4 mile
    Comparable engines, properly setup Jet vs. Properly setup V-Drive = Jet in the 1/8 Mile
    Just my .02

Danhercules
    Originally posted by Jrocket
    Thats a never ending debate.Its all in who you ask.Can be worse than the Ford versus Chevy debate in here.
    Or TQ vs HP!!!
    Prop is faster, jet is quicker.
    Ease of maitanace goes to jet
    One more thing GOT ROOST????

BarryMac
    Originally posted by Danhercules
    One more thing GOT ROOST????
    yeah baby...http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...C01226-med.JPG
    gjb...

1Bahnerjet
    Originally posted by BigBoyToys
    You got that right...wishful thinking indeed. TOp Speed on comparable engines will ALWAYS go to a V-Drive that is setup with a 2 blade prop and the proper gears.. However, ET wise, maybe in the 1/8 mile they will be comparable, but it is at this point where the V-Drive has pretty much caught the Jet and is passing the Jet.
    Comparable engines, properly setup Jet vs. Properly setup V-Drive = V-Drive in the 1/4 mile
    Comparable engines, properly setup Jet vs. Properly setup V-Drive = Jet in the 1/8 Mile
    Just my .02
    1/4 mile not so far...
    we may see the day when Jets win on e.t.
    even when v-drive faster though the lights...
    it would take ungodly "acceleration" Though.
    I maybe dreaming...

Havasu Hangin'
    All I gotta say is that PWCs use the same technology as you jet guys.
    Come to think of it...so does a garden hose.

Mr Twister
    Garden Hose technology, gotta love that!!! With some of us old school jet people thats all we can handle. IMO All performance boats are cool.
    SWTD aka "Miss Twister"

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast