Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: trailer brakes question

throttlejunkie
    I have 2003 Nordic Rage with the Nordic trailer, dual axle and disc brakes, and tow with 1/2 ton suburban. I have a house in Searchlight, Nevada and always launch at Cottonwood Cove. The trip is 13 miles, and downhill the whole way. The problem I have is, by the time I get to the marina, the left wheel becomes extremely hot. It seems like the trailer is constantly pushing against the back of the truck and applying the trailer brakes. This only happens when towing downhill. I took the trailer back to The Boat Broker in Havasu for service, and the mechanic said that he just needed to bleed the brakes. Well needless to say, that did not do the job. Anybody else here experience this problem, or have any suggestions on how to fix it.

Havasu Hangin'
    The surge brakes will be the problem- they are probably constantly engaging down that hill.
    You gotta remember that the brakes are what's slowing you down. Any pressure off the trailer will be transfered to the truck brakes (not good).
    I'm wondering why only one wheel gets hot- the other one may not be working properly.
    I have seen people that tow on hills alot add another set of brakes to the other axle- it will spread out the load a little. However, I'd make sure both of your current discs are working properly before going that route.

Dr. Eagle
    When I am on a downhill with the boat trailer, I will usually brake and slow down and then touch the gas to unload the brake Master Cylinder. Then I coast and let the rig pick up some speed, then do it again... I do this of course checking on vehicles following behind... it'll drive them nuts. But in the slow lane it isn't such a big deal most of the time. It helps keep the brakes cooler.
    I never had one disc brake drag or carry most of the load before myself like HH says. I too wonder if the other brake is not functioning properly.

Huckleberry
    I try to do the same thing as Dr. Eagle, but it is a pain in the arse to keep doing it. One of the board members had a homemade pneumatic system on his trailer that basically held the trailer surge brake open when going downhill, and then he would release it a the bottom of the hill. He lives at the top of the hills in Havasu, and was on the brakes all the way to the lake. It was a pretty trick system. The only down side was in a panic stop, you no longer had the benefit of the trailer brakes, but in driving around town in Havasu, you only drive slow anyway. Maybe Dennis will see this and post some pics of his work.

welk2party
    I also tap the brake to slow then go again.

BROS&HOS
    You could always switch to electric. You can also lock them like a parking brake when you are on the ramp too.

throttlejunkie
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I will check the right side brakes to make sure they are working. And I think I will try the tap / gas idea also. If anybody else has any suggestions, I would like to here them.

Moe_Havi
    Under correct working conditions you should not have a problem. Your brakes are not working right and eventually (read soon) it will get worse because the brakes won't be wearng evenly causing one side to burn out. If you do find the problem you should probably change the pads anyway. I have gone down that grade many times and it isn't really that steep at all.
    Moe

dkreuzen
    Originally posted by Huckleberry
    I try to do the same thing as Dr. Eagle, but it is a pain in the arse to keep doing it. One of the board members had a homemade pneumatic system on his trailer that basically held the trailer surge brake open when going downhill, and then he would release it a the bottom of the hill. He lives at the top of the hills in Havasu, and was on the brakes all the way to the lake. It was a pretty trick system. The only down side was in a panic stop, you no longer had the benefit of the trailer brakes, but in driving around town in Havasu, you only drive slow anyway. Maybe Dennis will see this and post some pics of his work.
    What's up with "Huckleberry" Jim?
    Yes, I had the downhill brake problem with my last few trailers. And where I used to live and boat I had to go over some very steep hills where low gear would slow me down enough but that would also activate the trailer brakes. After frying a few sets of brake shoes and wheel bearings I made up the system Jim is referring to.
    This pneumatic system would prevent the brakes from activating on the downhill runs in low gear but with the right amount of air pressure the brakes still worked when the truck brakes were applied, just not as soon. I used it for about 6 years without any problems. Now that I live in Havasu the problem wasn’t as bad and when I got my new boat the system didn’t get installed on the new trailer.
    Dennis

Tom Brown
    Originally posted by BROS&HOS
    You could always switch to electric.
    I also think this is a good idea.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast