Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Uncommon Sense???????????

Dr. Eagle
    Ok so I went out to Folsom Lake today. Wow it was crowded... but it was still nice. I got a nice beach and kicked it for a while.
    I finally decided to take the Ultra for a ride and cruised around a little stopping and swimming a while with the wife and a friend.
    Coming back to our day camp, I see this nice direct drive boat that appeared to be pulling someone (because most of the attention in the boat was focused behind the boat).. but I see no tow rope and no tube, skiier, wakeboarder.
    But as I get closer (I slowed down cuz I couldn't figure out what was going on) I see two little girls clinging on the ample swim platform.
    I couldn't believe it. I saw RED , swung the boat around gunned the engine and pulled up alongside waving like a nutjob. The driver slowed the boat to a stop, the girls dropped off (at least they were wearing lifevests), and I proceeded to tell him that one 11 year old died out on the lake doing just the same thing, as have many others because you are basically sucking the CO right out of the engine.
    The guy looked surprised, and I have a feeling probably took the advice. Just to make sure, I tracked down a Sheriffs boat and told him the story. He took off in the direction of the boat immediately.
    I gotta tell you, I was shaking after seeing that, and I was pretty upset with the guy.. although I didn't use any language, just matter of fact, this is what has happened doing that.
    WTF is it? Do we just see the danger and others don't? I was absolutely beside myself for a while...
    Is common sense.... really that uncommon????????

Debbolas
    Wow!
    Unbelievable.......
    A very good friend of mine, whom I trust with boats, has been boating her entire life, decided to lay on the engine cover and hold on to the head rests of her boat, while her boat went full speed across the lake. She did this with her daughter, and her daughters friends.....
    I was speechless....
    You did the right thing, Doc, educated a boater and kept your cool

Havasu_Dreamin
    The guy is obviously an idiot! The SO boat should have gone over and either writen the guy up for reckless operation and child endangerment, arrested him for it, or just beat the sh!t out of him until he understood the danger!

Dr. Eagle
    Originally posted by Havasu_Dreamin
    The guy is obviously an idiot! The SO boat should have gone over and either writen the guy up for reckless operation and child endangerment, arrested him for it, or just beat the sh!t out of him until he understood the danger!
    I tell you I am glad the guy was civil and obviously just oblivious to the danger. If he'd have had an attitude... I was mad enough to do an A-Team jump....... LOL.... I woulda Pittied the fool!

You'd be amazed at the number of boaters oblivious or uneducated to this danger. The CA DBW has a radio campaign going right now targeting this exact group. I'm sure this guy was just clueless about the situation. Non gearheads generally don't even consider such things as where the exhaust goes. They do not care or even think about it. Glad you informed him.
    This another of many areas that mandatory education for boating operation would impact. Anyone can presently buy a boat and go off and run it without so much as a clue on navigation or safety rules.
    You haven't ever been able to drive a car without training. In many ways boats are more dangerous... no marked lanes, no brakes, etc, etc.

Debbolas
    Yeah!
    Why can you buy a boat/motorcycle/jet ski with no training...........but to buy a car you need a license?
    I'm thinkin we need some boating license, before you can drive.
    Would we want that regulated? I say yes!

Dr. Eagle
    Originally posted by Debbolas
    Yeah!
    Why can you buy a boat/motorcycle/jet ski with no training...........but to buy a car you need a license?
    ALWAYS remember that the rocks have the right of way......

Debbolas
    Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
    ALWAYS remember that the rocks have the right of way......
    soooooooooooooooooo
    not funny :frown:

Dr. Eagle
    soooooooooooooooooo
    not funny :frown:
    Sorry hon....... bad timing.......

Havasu_Dreamin
    Yeah!
    As far as street bikes I would think you need to have whatever class endorsement it is to purchase a motorcycle. Obviously this would exclude dirt bikes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast