Thread: Static in system???

survey76
    I've just recently started to get a bunch of static in the stereo system. I can't figure it out, I've retightened every connection on the amps and batteries, nothing is chaffed that I can see, but I've still got this static sound. I've noticed that if I turn on the running lights or plug something into a 12v outlet, it will kill most if not all of the static sound. I don't know what that has to do with it, but I thought maybe somebody here had run into the same problem.
    Any help is appreciated....
    Thanks,
    Dan

Havasu Hangin'
    Did you pull the RCAs off the amp and see if the noise is still there?
    Where is the head unit getting it's power and ground?

survey76
    I'll try the RCAs. The amps are wired directly off of the battery, but the stereo is wired how ever it was wired from the factory.
    -Dan

Havasu Hangin'
    Originally posted by survey76
    I'll try the RCAs. The amps are wired directly off of the battery, but the stereo is wired how ever it was wired from the factory.
    -Dan
    If you take the RCAs off, and the noise goes away, then it's in the head unit. I've never had much luck with the dash power/ground (stock wiring location), because all of those noisy accessories are run off the same wiring.
    Try running a power/ground (and memory wire) for the head unit directly off the battery- if the noise goes away, then you found the problem.

survey76
    Will do. Thanks again for the help.
    -Dan

Havasu Hangin'
    The other thing that can cause static is a HEI (or MSD) ignition...which is tougher to fix. Can you say, "aluminum foil"?

ROZ
    Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
    "aluminum foil"? Works great as window tint. I have it all over the house glass, too

Shallow Minded
    I've just encountered a similar problem with my system. Here's the story... ran this stereo set-up all last season without a problem. Performed an engine upgrade this winter (including MSD ignition) and now it sounds like a blender. The catch: The engine doesn't have to be running; anything electrical (blower fan, power hatch, etc) will do it.
    Sooo, does that eliminate the MSD as a possible source? I've reran the ground from the head unit back to the battery and that helped a little. Will do the same with the power. Do those Ground Loop Isolator's do any good? Thanks.

Havasu Hangin'
    Originally posted by Shallow Minded
    Do those Ground Loop Isolator's do any good?
    I try to never use them (they are more of a band-aid than a cure)...as they can take away some signal.
    Ground loop isolators will help with alternator whine...but static is another animal.