Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Closed again

Kachina26
    Bridgewater Channel was closed for nearly three hours Sunday afternoon due to dangerous levels of carbon monoxide. Even after it reopened, a fire department spokesman said that there was a strong possibility that it would have to close again before nightfall.
    Frank Foti, Lake Havasu City Fire Department battalion chief, said that carbon monoxide levels climbed into the hazardous zone by 3:15 p.m. This led safety officials to close both north and south ends of the Channel, he said, preventing additional boats from entering the waterway. They reopened the Channel at 6 p.m. when carbon monoxide levels returned to good, he said, but whether they stayed that way for the night depended on nature.
    "There was no wind so we knew readings would go high," he said, "and if we don't get some wind it could become hazardous again in a short period of time. We're watching it."
    Foti said that three hazardous zone readings taken at 10-minute intervals trigger a closure.
    Some visitors said that temporarily closing the Channel was necessary.
    Kimberly Desrosiers of California said that the carbon monoxide levels were definitely unhealthy.
    "The gas was making me nauseous," she said.
    Karen Heitmiller of California said that she has been visiting the Channel for years.
    "I think it was kind of a good thing. Last year there were pollutants in the air and the water. Your lungs hurt and you felt like you couldn't breathe."
    "The bad side is that our boat ride couldn't get in to give us a ride to dinner," Heitmiller said.
    Her sister-in law, Lisa Heitmiller, agreed about the Channel area's air quality.
    "Last year you couldn't breathe - it was like a fog out here. You could see the fumes in the air," she said.
    Arturo Bernl of Los Angeles said that he found nothing to complain about.
    "It's a good thing. We've got a lot of beer, a lot of girls, and a lot of life," he said.

bigq
    Half those people on there are talking about the smoke not the dangerous gases.
    I would leave at this point.

Dr. Eagle
    Originally posted by bigq
    Half those people on there are talking about the smoke not the dangerous gases.
    I would leave at this point.
    I think she needs to start taking "smart vitamins" but I think she's beyond hope...

i know i have said this a 100 times but again what is the appeal of standing in piss warm water chocking on carbon monoxide.oh yea to look cool!

Dr. Eagle
    Originally posted by boatnam2
    i know i have said this a 100 times but again what is the appeal of standing in piss warm water chocking on carbon monoxide.oh yea to look cool!
    Yeah, but you get a free buzz.......

franky
    Yeah thats pretty funny. Carbon Monoxide is a colorless odorless gas. I used to do air pollution studies for a living in ....you guessed it, LA. We had continuos gas monitors that measured various gasses including CO from the middle and each side of the 405 freeway at Wilshire Blvd (the VA hospital) That was a good spot because there is an offshore breeze across the freeway so you could measure gasses upwind of , in the middle of, and downwind (what the traffic contributes) of the freeway.
    They close the channel when CO ppm (parts per million) levels are in the low teens. During stop and go traffic, the levels of CO on the 405 freeway pegged out the CO instruments which topped out at 50 ppm. That means that on the freeway, you are being exposed to CO levels over four times what you would be exposed to in the channel on a bad day. Go figure.
    This is just over reacting to drunk idiots doing dumb things (drinking so much they pass out and submarine (drown), hit heads or whatever), finding "elavated levels of CO in the blood" and then having some sharkass lawyer sue the city for a non existing CO problem killing his client (money tree).
    Deal with the problem not a symptom.

Kachina26
    Originally posted by franky
    This is just over reacting to drunk idiots doing dumb things (drinking so much they pass out and submarine (drown), hit heads or whatever), finding "elavated levels of CO in the blood" and then having some sharkass lawyer sue the city for a non existing CO problem killing his client (money tree).
    We have a winner!!!!!!!

bigq
    Originally posted by franky
    Yeah thats pretty funny. Carbon Monoxide is a colorless odorless gas. I used to do air pollution studies for a living in ....you guessed it, LA. We had continuos gas monitors that measured various gasses including CO from the middle and each side of the 405 freeway at Wilshire Blvd (the VA hospital) That was a good spot because there is an offshore breeze across the freeway so you could measure gasses upwind of , in the middle of, and downwind (what the traffic contributes) of the freeway.
    They close the channel when CO ppm (parts per million) levels are in the low teens. During stop and go traffic, the levels of CO on the 405 freeway pegged out the CO instruments which topped out at 50 ppm. That means that on the freeway, you are being exposed to CO levels over four times what you would be exposed to in the channel on a bad day. Go figure.
    interesting about the 405

bigq
    Originally posted by boatnam2
    I agree, but on off weekends it's a nice place to sit and take in the views.

h2oski2fast
    Originally posted by Kachina26
    Kimberly Desrosiers of California said that the carbon monoxide levels were definitely unhealthy.
    Karen Heitmiller of California said that she has been visiting the Channel for years.
    "I think it was kind of a good thing. Last year there were pollutants in the air and the water. Your lungs hurt and you felt like you couldn't breathe."
    "The bad side is that our boat ride couldn't get in to give us a ride to dinner," Heitmiller said.
    Her sister-in law, Lisa Heitmiller, agreed about the Channel area's air quality.
    "Last year you couldn't breathe - it was like a fog out here. You could see the fumes in the air," she said.
    If you don't like it get the F@%K out of the channel!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast